Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you hunt ruffed grouse?

How do you hunt ruffed grouse?

Here Out West, they come out of the woods onto gravel mountain roads in mid-morning and afternoon.

It's easy.

Few people hunt them, so they sit tight too long for their own good.

Just walk up and shoot when they jump.

Use pheasant loads.

Comment

In the eastern woods, they are quite spooky and often flush out of gun range when hunted with a dog.
      Hunt with a partner and stop often, as they will let you walk close by if they think they haven't been seen.
      When you pause, they often get nervous and take off with a startling explosion. A light, fast handling gun is a must.

Comment

I should add that hunting is usually much better after the leaves have fallen, because the birds quickly put a tree between you and them, and will be more visible for a shot.
        They are small birds, easily knocked down, and #7 1/2 shot is plenty. Listen for the wings fluttering in the dry leaves on the ground to locate them after a shot. Good luck.

Comment

One of my favorite game birds. We usually hunt middle of Wisconsin when the woodcock move through. We don't have a dog and I have found that most flush when you have one leg over a log/ fence, caught in briars, or taking a piss. They flush close too, usually within five feet. In the thick stuff we hunt in, you only see the grouse for a second, then you follow the sound of the bird for the shot. Don't feel bad if you miss the first half dozen, or if you can't even find any. They are hard to hunt but lots of fun if you have some buddies to go with.

Comment

Both 99 and Bayou hunt them similar to myself. Here in Maine the best places are the old gravel logging roads and gravel stream beds. The eat the small gravel pieces to help them digest their food. Like 99explorer said here in the east they are very flighty. You can hear them run in dry leaves quite well, and their drumming sound is VERY distinctive.

Comment

Very exciting. When they take off it's like a cross between a little explosion and a ballistic missile. Hunt with a friend and walk slow, stopping every few yards. We always did good around pine trees. My friend could see them on the ground and get a jump on getting a bead on them.

Comment

bonasa umbellus.

Out here, a mature bird weighs up to 2 lbs.

Ah wooden argy with 99, cuz he's nevva wrong.

Road hunting in sparse woods enables longer acquisition time and heavier shot carry farther, and full choke is required.

Ah wooden hunt without a dawg.

He stays indy van until the shootin's over.

Then he gits to do whut he wuz born to do.

Comment

Can't add much to the good advice from 99explorer, but one more thing to remember is that grouse typically fly in a straight line (more or less) when flushed, and seldom go more than a couple hundred yards. If you miss or don't get a shot, follow the bird for a second flush. If you know the cover well enough and can make a guess as to where the bird might have landed, circle around and approach from a different direction.

Comment

MattM's advice is sound, I'll add that when they hit the ground after a first flush they usually run rather than taking cover where they land.

Comment

I've hunted them mostly on the prairie. There, driving the gravel roads as shooting time begins is the top choice. Second is watching the horizon for them flying. Watch where they land and stalk. Finally, we drive the country roads watching the ridges for them. They are relatively dumb compared to pheasants and quail and usually allow you to approach quite close. The only problem is that if you miss, they generally fly about 15 miles before landing again. I also scope the fence rows with binoculars. It is pretty common for a lookout to perch on a fence post over the flock. Then you simply walk the fence row and get them up.

Comment

find the thickest nastiest cover you possibly can in the woods and start brush busting. grouse dont come easy. the above advice is all good. you will probably kill most of your birds on the second flush so marking them is important. once you hunt them enough you will find areas on pieces of property that will almost always hold birds.

a good trick is to slice the first one open that you shoot and see what he has been eating. then hunt the areas with those types of food sources.

Comment

Hi...

Here in NY, it's like scratchgolf72 said. Also in thick, but walkable areas of evergreen trees.

My favorite weapon is a .410 for them.

Comment

DITTO~99,scratchgolf72
                            All good advice on grouse hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                              by PigHunter
                              I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                              Today, 02:16 PM
                            • Cheaper Than Dirt
                              by jhjimbo
                              Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                              Today, 12:21 PM
                            • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                              by fitch270
                              I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                              Today, 01:40 PM
                            • 300 yard .22lr
                              by jhjimbo
                              Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                              Today, 11:28 AM
                            • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                              by jhjimbo
                              I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                              Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X