Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any tips for hunting public lands for small game/birds? This will be my first year hunting public land. One mor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any tips for hunting public lands for small game/birds? This will be my first year hunting public land. One mor

Does anyone have any tips for hunting public lands for small game/birds? This will be my first year hunting public land. One more question. How good do small game populations seem to be on public lands because I can imagine with so many hunters the populations could be depleted quickly.

Hunt P/lands during the week Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri,Not weekends,Let{Monday pass Day of rest}from the W/E hunters, It all Depends on what State your Hunting in and How many Hunters are out for the Day,weekend and what type of game your after!
    good luck wear Blaze Camo Shoot Straight,Join the NRA.

Comment

Depends on the human population density of your area.

Around here (Washington), pheasants, quail, and small game are practically extinct.

Best to hunt migratory birds here.

Comment

Thanks, I will be hunting ohio public lands.

Comment

As treestand said it depends. If there is not a large population of small game hunters in your area, then you should have no problem. Check with your state's game and fish/natural resources district biologists and they should be able to steer you to some productive areas for small game. Check out online groups such as squirrelsunlimited.com. Such groups can help you out and give you some great information on small game hunting.

Comment

in Missouri the depart of conservation list population estimates for each other on there website for each area. mostly either says good or fair. depending on the size of the area hunting may be better in one spot and worse in another depending on distance to the parking lot.

Comment

Talk to a conservation officer/ game warden in your area. Those guys can be a wealth of info and tips. They are used to dealing with the general public so do not be afraid to ask. Do it now when they are slightly less busy.

Comment

Like most public land hunting your best bet is to go where others don't. Which is usually farther in or across the nasty swamp or stream or whatever. I do a lot of public land hunting and that has been what seems to get me into more game.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad