Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you buy a new gun, how long do you keep the box and papers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you buy a new gun, how long do you keep the box and papers?

When you buy a new gun, how long do you keep the box and papers?

I try to keep them for as long as I have the firearm. I've been told that it can increase the resale value though I don't know if this is true. Somebody with more knowledge than me should be able to give you a more concrete answer

Comment

When selling antiques or "collectors" item, documentation of provenance will increase the value immensely.
      EVERY firearm I've purchased new since 2000 has documentation of origin.
      I get the store owner to sign the receipt. The receipt then goes in an envelope that is taped to the inside of the box. All pamphlets, instructions, papers, paper, styrofoam EVERYTHING! ...except the firearm! ...and the box/container is stored away separately. Hopefully, my children will follow through. Wish I had the original box of all the arms I currently possess. Ahhh, but youth was such a wonderful time! LOL!
      You know! Young and intelligent and bullet proof!

Yes! Keep it all!

Comment

I always kept them in a special storage area. A few years ago, upon returning from hunting overseas I discovered the area was bare. My wife asked why I had been keeping all those old empty boxes? She was very pleased she had cleaned up my mess. I sighed, and told her not to worry about it..after fifty years of marriage, I am too old to break in a new wife. Oh, yes in answer to your question, if you have room keep them. Explain to your wife they my increase the value of the firearm and unable her to sell them more quickly when you kick the bucket.

Comment

Should have used in able, not unable. Big difference

Comment

Mebbe "enable", butt dawgz cain't spell either.

Enny gun that Ah buy is one Ah wanted very badly, and Ah do not keep the boxes for a day.

Comment

If you think you will ever resell the gun, keep the box. If you intend to pass the gun down to the next generation or the one after, don't worry about keeping the box. DO keep all of the paperwork as it will be invaluable if some thing goes wrong with the weapon. By all means keep the receipt at least until the warranty expires, but in any case it would be interesting years from now to know what you paid for the weapon.

Comment

I usually keep the boxes until I'm very certain the rifle will not be shipped anywhere for warrantee service, or longer (since I may use them to ship another rifle to a gunsmith). I did have an accumulation of boxes, until we needed the space.

Comment

I will keep the box until the gun warranty expires.
                  I do keep the papers as long as I own the firearm.

If you kept cardboard boxes every time you bought a firearm, television, microwave, water heater, gas vent free fireplace you would need a large area to store all those empty boxes.

Cardboard boxes are also a food source for crickets, weevils, termites, cockroaches, silverfish and carpenter ants.

Comment

Bayouwoof,
                    Always have said if I could read or write, would have had a real job. This machine earlier would not take the word enable. Kindest Regards

Comment

I keep them all, although they do take up some storage space. Oldest that I bought that had a box was 1965 - Browning Challenger - paid $67.00

Comment

Lol I have some Boxes that are worth more then the Gun that came in it! I keep them till I sell the Gun.

Comment

Know a guy who was given a '20's vintage Colt Peacemaker in .45LC with the 5.5 or 6 in barrel. It was (and STILL is!) NIB! The original owner loaded the gun and placed it back in it's original box.
                          The guy unloaded the gun, placed the 5 rounds back into the box of Remington ammo that was in the gun box!
                          I'd have a hard time imagining just what that six shooter is worth!
                          I've seen it. It still has the price tag on the trigger guard!

Comment

Bubba - I would gladly buy that gun, sight unseen, for TWO times the price on the tag on the trigger guard:-) I like to live on the edge.

Comment

I've never bought a new gun but a few of the used guns and most scopes I've purchased had boxes with them. I keep the boxes forever just in case I have to ship them. I've never sold a gun yet so I don't place a high value on that unused opportunity. I keep them in a special place in the attic and try to give my bride of 44 years enough other cleaning opportunities to keep her out of that space. Who knows what another 6 years will bring though... one thing for sure, I like her a lot more than those boxes just in case I experience Happy's dilemma.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad