Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad on guns, especially older guns, to let them sit for a long time in a gun safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad on guns, especially older guns, to let them sit for a long time in a gun safe?

Is it bad on guns, especially older guns, to let them sit for a long time in a gun safe?

Use a silica gel dessicant (Midway) for gunsafes, and ye'll prolly be OK.

Comment

I take my guns out twice a year for a cleaning whether I use them or not.

Comment

I agree with Bayouwoof - Desiccant, undoubtedly, and make it a pattern to periodically inspect your firearms. Do not drench your firearms in oil with the intention to keep them rust-free, because the law of gravity hasn't been repealed and you'd be surprised how oil will gravitate settle into the action. Keep them clean and dry, inspect regularly, and replenish your desiccant according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Comment

Yes. It means you are not hunting enough. All of my firearms are in treated gun sleeves . This seems to help. I keep them in safes with barrels down. Started this habit after a bad earthquake banged them around inside the enclosed safes. As Ed indicated , regular inspection is still important.

Comment

Muzzles-down is a good idea for another reason. Recoil pads become compressed and take a set when the guns are store butt-down for prolonged periods.
            Also, the scope lenses become coated with dust unless covered.

Comment

I found the use of DampRid from W*M works well in our Large Gun Safes and we line the floors with Cardboard for the Oil Drips.

Comment

Set aside a day each year to clean, inspect, and oil all your stored guns. Twice a year in humid climates.

Comment

Over oiled guns sitting butt down ans the oil gravitates down (as previously stated!) to the wrist of the stock. If it's wood stocked, the oil soaks in, weakening an already weak area.
                  Store guns barrel down. Be certain the barrel crown is protected when storing muzzle down.
                  Like Happy said, if they are spending to much time in the safe, you ain't hunting enough! LOL!
                  I also see a good desiccant as important to safe, safe storage!

Comment

They are going to get lonely and bored with each other. The only way to solve this is to use them more often or continuously purchase new guns so there is something new for them to talk about.

Comment

Ditto Miles and 31Alpha,
                      Get those puppies out and shoot them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                        by crm3006
                        Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                        Today, 05:22 PM
                      • Reply to Rest Easy
                        by FirstBubba
                        "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                        Today, 04:39 PM
                      • Rest Easy
                        by jhjimbo
                        Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                        Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                      • Reply to Rest Easy
                        by 99explorer
                        Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                        Today, 03:02 PM
                      • Reply to Rest Easy
                        by jhjimbo
                        They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                        Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X