Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a question for everybody. After suffer a major injury (see first post) I got to thinking, What has been the worst injury/ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Dakota,
    Yes, you are probably right about the leopard not counting. It does give my comment a bit of a flair. I did kill it after it chewed me up, does that count for something? The trip home from half way around the world was as tough as anything, but all airport personnel treated me like a celebrity which was kind of fun for an old cowboy. Kindest Regards

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    I remember back in college I told my future wife that I was going to miss Christmas with her family because I was going to go hunting over the holidays. The usual fight ensued, and finally she gave me the ultimatum of "It's either me or hunting, etc, etc."

So I did what any young man would do; I told her I didn't want to see her anymore.

"Fine," she said.

It wasn't until the middle of the holiday week that the swelling went down enough that I could just start to see a little out of the left eye, but the right one took a bit longer.

Leave a comment:

• LostLure
    replied
    Dakota- I think everybody here is a solid "C"

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I think I see a theme here! This is a bunch of guys who either:
    a) Really love to hunt and fish, or
    b) Have more guts than brains, or
    c) Both

I'll have to admit, I am a certified "c". I wish I had a nickel for every time a doctor said to me, "What are you, an idiot?"

Oh and Happy... we won't count the leopard mauling because that probably happened AFTER the hunt... nice try! OH... I have to give you the prize... I don't think I could drag two muley bucks when I was in my prime!

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    In December of 2009 I was caught in a PTO powered salt spreader while plowing snow. My left arm suffered a complete de-gloving, fractured humerus and relatively massive tissue damage. Kinda looks like a shark chewed on it.
    That spring I hunted turkey, went out for deer with rifle and crossbow in the fall and fished all summer.
    I have healed up better than they said was ever possible but will deal with reduced strength and mobility for the rest of my life. My ulna is no longer attached to my wrist but just floats. However, I did shoot a bow for the first time in four years two weeks ago and I truly believe at this point that I will hunt again with a bow.
    The take aways are:
    - Button your sleeves
    - Always keep a positive mental attitude
    - Listen to your doctor unless he tells you that you will never use your arm again.

Leave a comment:

• country road
    replied
    Had the bones in my right (dominant) hand busted up from a gunshot, but used the cast as a spool to catch several nice king mackerel on a handline (trolling) and learned to fly cast left handed. I hunted and fished for twenty years with a torn meninscus before the third surgery finally repaired it twenty or so years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    2006, Was told by the ENT surgeon that I had inoperatable throat cancer. Due to the God above tests 2 weeks later showed it was gone but I did have a case of shingles that got on the 7th cranial nerve going up the right side of my neck into my brain. I spent 3 months in the hospital during which the family was called in several times. I pulled through and was left with only memory loss and severe pain which I have to take massive amounts of medication the rest of my life. That was in late March and I had to retire from my job and was barely on my feet and had my strength back for the 2006 deer season. I killed a nice 9 point buck the first morning and that buck is one of the most special bucks to me. I also killed a doe that season. I was luck enough to have a great group of guys at the hunting camp to take care of me. Some guys on here don't have an excuse but I have it documented that I have brain damage so now you know where my ranting and raving comes from.(just kidding) I thank my God every day for letting me have the years I have to enjoy my children, grandchildren, my wife and the wonderful outdoors where I love to hunt. I learned don't take your time for granted it can be gone in the wink of an eye.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    Am currently suffering from a torn achilles tendon but feel it is good enough for elk in Colorado this year. Once slipped in the snow and got a mouthful of quiver from my bow. A few loose teeth and plenty of blood but I continued to hunt.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    I had whooping cough last year while hunting antelope. Made stalking almost impossible. Nice stiff 40mph wind helped silence the cough.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Matzek
    replied
    The worst I have ever had was during deer season of my 8th grade year so the winter of 08-09. On the way to an early morning hunt at my brother's deer camp I stepped in a big puddle and water ran over the top of my boot and filled it up. Short story long I caught a double pnemonia and was very ill for a few weeks. Before I got sick I weighed a whopping 112 lbs. and when I finally got better I was around 85lbs. The week I started feeling better I bagged a doe: my first solo kill. Thinking about all that I had gone through to get this deer made me tear up

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    I tore the meniscus in my left knee playing basketball in HS summer league games. Only I didn't know it for about 2 wks. When I got fed up of just getting around on the pain, I went to docs. All that while I was hobbling up and down the local creeks and rivers after smallmouth, rainbows, and channel cats.

Leave a comment:

• 31Alpha
    replied
    Happy Myles: The Most Interesting Man in the World..."I don't always post on the internet, but when I do, it's FieldandStream.com"

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Hunted Stone Sheep with three broken ribs. Took a nice ram and a Mt Caribou. Got a stomach blockage and almost died in Uganda two years ago. Then there was the time I was mauled by a leopard.

Leave a comment:

• Muskie
    replied
    Broke my left wrist two weeks before the start of turkey season a few years ago. Had a cast on it but still could rest the shot gun on the cast but couldn't grip the fore arm. So when a turkey wander into range and I shot the gun jump out of my hand and smashed me in the lip and nose. The picture of me with a bloody nose and a fat lip with the dead turkey still makes me chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Nothing as bad as what has been posted. Twisted knee, twisted ankle, bad cold/flu, montezuma revenge, cracked rib.
    Slipped on black ice once and broke a bone in my finger plus my rifle stock. Duct tape fixed both of them and kept on hunting for the rest of the day.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad