Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a question for everybody. After suffer a major injury (see first post) I got to thinking, What has been the worst injury/ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a question for everybody. After suffer a major injury (see first post) I got to thinking, What has been the worst injury/ill

Got a question for everybody. After suffer a major injury (see first post) I got to thinking, What has been the worst injury/illness you have hunted or fished with?

On July 19th I tore my Achilles tendon. Completely severed it. I had surgery on the 23rd, and I am in a hard cast untill Sep 5th. My archery deer season opens on Sep 15th, so I will be out in the wood with a walking boot on. Dont think I will be able to use my climber, so I will be bow hunting from a ground blind. Unfortunately I cannot get down into the hardwood/swamp bottoms, so I will be setting up over some foot plots for easier access for me.

Comment

I have a hip implant and a crushed heel (opposite sides), I know all about reduced mobility!
      Sounds like you've pretty much got it figured out.
      I've set up several spots I can access with a 4 wheeler.
      Figure out just what your "restrictions" are and how to work around them.

Comment

I've had a few since I like to hunt and generally don't like to miss out on the action just because I'm not 100%. I would have to say the worst was probably two weeks after tearing all three cruciate ligaments + few others out of my knee, going to a bad doctor and getting gangrene. I had to hop around the woods on crutches and really felt bad because of the gangrene. I got my deer but needed help getting it home. A day later, I had to sign all the papers to have my leg amputated but during the surgery a really good doctor spent 12 hours repairing the damage and saved my leg.

Two weeks later, I took a time out on the pain killers so I could sneak down to the river bank to look for coyotes. I really couldn't do anything but lay in the snow but happened to get one of the best shots of my life as a coyote screamed by 250 yards out. Another hunter had fired five shots at it and was watching through his scope as it went down. He walked all the way over to where I was laying to see what I was shooting. He said he saw three bullets blast through the coyote as it slid to a stop and thought I was shooting some kind of machine gun. I told him I had to shoot until I was sure he was dead since I was in no shape to track him down. He was kind enough to retrieve my coyote and help me get back up and into the car for my drive home.

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery and have a plan. Best luck to you on your recovery and your hunt. I've had that surgery about 6 or 7 times and it doesn't really constrain your hunting too much after a couple of weeks. Just pick a spot where you don't have to do a lot of walking if possible.

Comment

Uncontrolled diabetes.

Comment

Got papercut during a staff briefing to the Commander on the Friday before the start of bow season. I could still draw my bow, but boy did it sting.

Comment

Back in fall of 1984 I quit the plant and accepted a job teaching/coaching in Idaho. The week before big game season opened I put new shoes on my horses. The routine was always to give them a treat and turn em loose after I was done. This time I decided to go for a ride. Put shoes on the pack horse last so I saddled her up rather than chase down my riding horse. She objected to the change in routine, we had an argument, and she went over on top of me. Smashed my right knee badly. I couldn't get off the ground for forty minutes. What a mess. But I had a great doctor and even better physiotherapist out in that backwoods lumber mill town. Though it was swelled up badly I managed to get up the mountain in Montana where I regularly shot elk when the season opened. Didn't get an elk but nailed two twin muley bucks with one shot. Put one on my back and crawled out of a canyon with him. Then at the top of the ridge I tied them both together with my belt and flagging tape and dragged the package about a mile down the mountain to where my brother was waiting with his boy. I was wearing a knee brace. The next day Mike and I went to the end of the south fork and I shot my last elk, a raghorn bull, after hiking all day. When the doctor saw me the following week he asked what I had done to my knee. I told him about the weekend. Seems to be the right medicine! Once in a while that knee will still give me a bit of trouble but usually only temporary. I have been quite hard on my body but so far it has held up surprisingly well. Good genes I guess.

Comment

I broke my leg real bad and was in a wheel chair but that was in late winter so no outdoor activites then. Just recently cracked a growth plate in my knee along with a very strained acl and tore part of another tendon out of place. didnt go to the doctor for 2 weeks with the knee.I fished plenty though with the banged up knee.

Comment

Nothing as bad as what has been posted. Twisted knee, twisted ankle, bad cold/flu, montezuma revenge, cracked rib.
                  Slipped on black ice once and broke a bone in my finger plus my rifle stock. Duct tape fixed both of them and kept on hunting for the rest of the day.

Comment

Broke my left wrist two weeks before the start of turkey season a few years ago. Had a cast on it but still could rest the shot gun on the cast but couldn't grip the fore arm. So when a turkey wander into range and I shot the gun jump out of my hand and smashed me in the lip and nose. The picture of me with a bloody nose and a fat lip with the dead turkey still makes me chuckle.

Comment

Hunted Stone Sheep with three broken ribs. Took a nice ram and a Mt Caribou. Got a stomach blockage and almost died in Uganda two years ago. Then there was the time I was mauled by a leopard.

Comment

Happy Myles: The Most Interesting Man in the World..."I don't always post on the internet, but when I do, it's FieldandStream.com"

Comment

I tore the meniscus in my left knee playing basketball in HS summer league games. Only I didn't know it for about 2 wks. When I got fed up of just getting around on the pain, I went to docs. All that while I was hobbling up and down the local creeks and rivers after smallmouth, rainbows, and channel cats.

Comment

The worst I have ever had was during deer season of my 8th grade year so the winter of 08-09. On the way to an early morning hunt at my brother's deer camp I stepped in a big puddle and water ran over the top of my boot and filled it up. Short story long I caught a double pnemonia and was very ill for a few weeks. Before I got sick I weighed a whopping 112 lbs. and when I finally got better I was around 85lbs. The week I started feeling better I bagged a doe: my first solo kill. Thinking about all that I had gone through to get this deer made me tear up

Comment

I had whooping cough last year while hunting antelope. Made stalking almost impossible. Nice stiff 40mph wind helped silence the cough.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Bubonic Plague
                                by franchi20
                                Obviously another spin on the KATY crap that shows up occasionally. Another, the first, was more insistent on plagiarizing other posts, made figure out...
                                Today, 06:27 PM
                              • Bubonic Plague
                                by jhjimbo
                                A squirrel south west of Denver tested positive for Bubonic Plague. Look out for fleas on small game, ground hogs, mice and rats, etc. Spray for flea...
                                07-14-2020, 11:45 AM
                              • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by Danbo
                                99 has no experience dealing with facts.
                                Today, 05:59 PM
                              • Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by FirstBubba
                                We know COVID-19 deaths are wildly inflated.
                                NOW... by the CDC's own definition, COVID-19 "cases" are even more wildly exaggerated!...
                                09-28-2020, 10:45 AM
                              • Reply to Presidential Debate 2.0:
                                by Danbo
                                Hey FB after November 3rd what do you think Biden will be doing with himself after he concedes?

Maybe write a book ....
                                Today, 05:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X