Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage 99 vs. Marlin 336.

Savage 99 vs. Marlin 336.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    I think the 99 has an advantage "caliber" wise, from there, it's a toss up.

Comment

Savage was introduced 50 years before the 336 - a rifle way before it's time in design and caliber offerings. Last made sometime in late 1990's.
      Internal magazine allowed the use of pointed bullets that allowed top performance from their calibers. The fit and feel of the rifle attracted hunters to the various models and options available. Used values across all models are generally higher that those of the 336. The higher costs of manufacturer contributed to it's eventual demise.
      The Marlin was a post WWII rifle and competed well with the Winchester '94. The price point was more in the reach of the average hunter.
      A 'brush' gun, it was easily equipped with a scope.
      Many, many big game have been taken with both rifles.

Comment

I'll take the Savage 99 in 308 any day!

Comment

Yup a Savage 99 in .308 is the way to go

Comment

The Marlin 336 is an excellent choice as a woods rifle. That said, many of those who've owned or worked with a Savage 99 will have a deep appreciation for it, and I number myself among them. I've owned or used the Savage 99 in .250 Savage, .300 Savage and .308 Win, and much as I recommend the Marlin to those who consider it, I confess a soft spot in my heart for the Savage 99. I doubt I could afford one if they reintroduced it, especially with the internal rotary magazine, but it was a very good rifle.

Comment

Savage 99 in .308W or .300 Savage anytime for a deer rifle.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                by 99explorer
                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                Anybody
                Today, 01:09 AM
              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                by 99explorer
                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                Today, 12:57 AM
              • The George Floyd case.
                by FirstBubba
                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                Minnesota...
                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                by crm3006
                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X