Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So a couple months ago Ontario posted a question along this line. Me and my wife are expecting our first child, and yesterday we

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana
    replied
    A little insight from a young man with a common last name and an uncommon first name. A little background: I have an older brother named Nicholas "Nick", and a younger brother named Andrew "Andy". My name happens to be Zebuleon or "Zeb" if you will, Old Testament I know. Teachers and peers alike will struggle over such a name, it will make the little one stronger, but a little bit of angst will develop as a result. Whatever the name may be show the young one the value of the outdoors early and enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    Ive always liked William, then I could call him Will, or Bill. I don't know if i would put much thought into unisex names as it seems that people will name their kid whatever if they like the name enough. I knew a young ladie by the name of Markie, everyone called her Mark. I was always under the impression that Mark was a safe, manly name. Guess I was wrong.
    A few other names my wife and I fought over were Nolan, Ruger, Jarret, Wyatt, and Leeland. Hopefully this doesn't muddy the waters to much.

Leave a comment:

• bscrandall
    replied
    How about Boone or Crockett?

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    How about Sherman?

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    A classmate of mine was named Ado Matthew by his German parents, and he was embarrassed by the foreign sounding name. He told people his nickname was Igor, and he asked to be called that, until finally when he came of age, he legally changed his name to Matthew. Thereafter, he asked to be called Matt. Poor guy.
    Another friend named his first-born child Mordecai. I have lost contact with him, but I'll bet his son "Morty" is not too happy with his name either.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    On second thought, Ferrand is out. Too easy for mean kids to turn him into Fairy.

Actually, 99, though I go by Pat my given name is Patrick so it's not really unisex. I see what you mean.

Leave a comment:

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    Ethnic names are just fine if they mesh well with the last name. I wouldn't name a boy Salvatore Antonino O'Rourke nor would I name him Ian Seamus Corleone.

Leave a comment:

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    I like Frank. It is my father and brother's name. Both are good men, but I have found that many women don't care for it,and it's only right that mother be happy with the choice.I like family names and names that mesh well with your ethnic background/last name.My bride and I have 4 children, so we have played this fun (mostly) game a few times. God Bless your new family.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I still like the Country Western Singer Johnny Cash and his suggestion below. lol

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1BJfDvSITY

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    A couple that come to mind are Chance and Owen.

Also, consider your nationality as there are some very specific names suitable for various ethnic or religious groups.

We have a very, very distant relative who signed the Constitution, so his last name permeates the family tree for both male and females, as first and middle names.

Have fun picking a name and congratulations to you and your wife.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    Henry- its unique in this day and age but also strong

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Honker - I recently read about an Australian lad named Kim who had problems sending out his resume to prospective employers until he put a "Mr." in front of his name.
    Just sayin.'

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    How about OAK? Hard to do. Goodluck and congrats on fatherhood. It's a beautiful thing.

Leave a comment:

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    Just don't name him Sue. Oh yeah, congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Most unisex names aren't that big a problem. I have one and it's never been confusing to anyone that I know of. However, the unisex ones that are usually used for girls should be avoided (e.g. Leslie, Caroll, Francis).

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad