Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So a couple months ago Ontario posted a question along this line. Me and my wife are expecting our first child, and yesterday we

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So a couple months ago Ontario posted a question along this line. Me and my wife are expecting our first child, and yesterday we

So a couple months ago Ontario posted a question along this line. Me and my wife are expecting our first child, and yesterday we found out that we are having a baby boy. Its the first grandson in the family. So now we are talking and looking at baby names. I was hoping that you guys would be so kind as you were to Ontario and help me with some thoughts on a good strong name.

[Blank]

Comment

Ulysses or Ishmael = "Sissy" or "Ishy" I wouldn't do that to a kid.

Jackson and Carter seem to be overused these days. Parker Reed is the name we picked for our little guy. Reed is a very nice name and seldom used these days. Hmmm. I like Ferrand, Fielding, and Fletcher. And, of course, I am partial to Welsey.

Very warm congratulations to you both. I hope everything goes okay.

Comment

Thank you Ontario, and I agree,not wanting to do that to him. I like Parker Reed. that was a good strong choice

Comment

[Blank]

Comment

Not to be biased, but my parents were pretty smart. They named me Jonathan Carter Stines. They raised me with the "nickname jack" (they had like jackson). I like it because although i will stick with jack. I can be called Jonathan, John, Jack, Carter, or J.C. Just my two cents.
            -Jack

Comment

You should be honored. Jack was my dear dad's name. Probably the finest person I'll ever know. We would have loved to have used it for Parker but my daughter's half-sister (by my previous marriage) beat us to it. Incidentally, that boy is not far from you. He lives with his mom in Baltimore.

Comment

Arnold Samson

Comment

Well what we have figured out was a middle name, and he is getting my middle name of Skinner, from my grandfather.

Comment

If Reed is the last name,might I suggest Hunter,Colt,Cody,Travis,Tucker,James,Tony,Nick,Tyl er,Trevor,Neal,Buck,Randy....Good Health and Good Luck.

Comment

Some tips:
                      If the last name is common, choose an uncommon first name.
                      If the last name is long, choose a shorter first name, and vice versa. Forms designers like small signature boxes.
                      Avoid ethnic names, or names that are hard to spell. Choose the English equivalent.
                      The last letter of the first name should not be the same as the first letter of the last name.
                      Consider the acronym that the initials will spell, as in the case of Alan S. Smith.
                      If you really need a strong first name, choose Samson.
                      JMO.

Comment

Just thought of one more caveat. You would do well to avoid names with ambiguous gender, or unisex names, like Pat, Kim, Dale, Jamie, Lee, Terry and Whitney, to name a few.

Comment

Most unisex names aren't that big a problem. I have one and it's never been confusing to anyone that I know of. However, the unisex ones that are usually used for girls should be avoided (e.g. Leslie, Caroll, Francis).

Comment

Just don't name him Sue. Oh yeah, congratulations.

Comment

How about OAK? Hard to do. Goodluck and congrats on fatherhood. It's a beautiful thing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad