Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you catch crayfish for food. Any recipes, techniques for catching, baits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you catch crayfish for food. Any recipes, techniques for catching, baits.

How many of you catch crayfish for food. Any recipes, techniques for catching, baits.

crayfish are fun and great to eat.

doughbait (salty, flour paste) works well with traps or lift-nets. But I love catching them one at a time with just a plain ol plastic party cup. Use some stealth to sneak in behind them, scare them backwards into the cup and done. I been catching them this way since I was little. It is a fun time to spend with the family especially kids.

A good recipe is crawfish chowder: Its simple and awesome! check it out at www.deer30outdoors.com/crawfish-chowder/

Comment

Thanks I had some a couple days ago and it was delicious I caught them with a tiny bottle I found in my tackle box. I just put them in a pan with salt pepper butter and olive oil and they were delicious:

Comment

I catch them with hardare cloth traps baited with cotton seed meal. You Just roll a two foot wide piece of 1/2 inch mesh hardware cloth in into a tube about 12 inches in diameter and hog ring it together at the seam. Then make two funnels out of the same cloth with a two inch opening at the small end of each funnel. Hog ring the funnels into the tube for ends with the small ends toward the inside. Then cut a door into the side of the tube which can be opened to bait the trap and remove crawfish. I use short pieces of old panty hose to hold the cotton seed meal.

Before boiling crawfish or even crabs, I purge them with extremely salty water at least three times. I use about two or three pounds of plain salt to five gallons of water when purging. (Salt is cheep when bought at the local feed store in fifty pound sacks). Then I boil them alive using Zatarain's crab boil seasoning with just a tad of lemon juice or white vinegar added. I also like to add small creamer potatoes, silver king/queen corn, onions, and mushrooms to the boil. The mushrooms always get eaten up before all the crawfish. After the boil, any left over crawfish get pealed and the tails saved to use in other dishes.

Comment

I like to use bacon, or a can of cat food in a wire trap to catch them. My girlfriend deals with the cooking of them.

Comment

It's a no-brainer to make sure they're cooked thoroughly, but I couldn't believe what I read in the news recently: This hospital somewhere in the Midwest was having all these cases of people coming in with some weird parasite in their lungs. Investigation discovered that it was from eating raw crawdads. Apparently, it had become the "in" thing for the local rafting and canoeing crowd, to scarf down raw crawdads while they were on the water. Morons.

Comment

I like bacon and a treble hook. I like bacon because i cut the strips in half and save one half of the pac for the cooking. I agree with santa about purging them before cooking as it makes them ease better and gets that gritty texture out of the heads. I don't use any where as much salt though. the way we do it here is we get a bunch of people together and go down to the creek and everyone has a blast fishing, swimming, cliff jumping, rope swinging, and catching crawdads. then at the end of the day we take all the crawdads and a 3 gallon pot I have and boil them in water with lawry's seasoning salt. I also tail out about 20 of the biggest ones and pan fry them in the bacon fat with lemon, pepper, and a little hot sauce. (I dont cook my bacon to crispy so you can role up the tails in the bacon) then it all goes on tailgate and everyone digs in to caw dad, what ever fish was caught, corn, black and raspberries(if the season is right and they are around the creek) and what ever else was brought.

Comment

Santa,

I know there are probably a lot of factors going into this, but how many per person would I need for a meal?

And is there any preference for slow water, fast water and still water as far as quality of crayfish or quantity caught?

Comment

In your Browser:

Duck Commander's Crawfish Pie Recipe.

Sonofagun we'll have some fun on the bayou.

Comment

Thanks yall I got a local stream where nobody goes gonna set some traps there overnight. I never see crawfish but its a good rocky bottom and ive found them in the belly of some bass so hopefully Ill catch some.

Comment

I also made a lift net.

Comment

I also made a lift net.

Comment

Teodoro, As the mud bugs get big, they also get harder shells and the meat is tougher so I like them small. They do not yield out much meat for a pound of live crawfish , (40# live sack usually only yields about six pounds of tail meat counting the fat and five pounds if the fat is removed), so I plan on boiling at least three pounds of small live ones per person. I always end up with plenty left over because most of my guests fill up on the corn and potatoes and do not end up eating so many of the mud bugs. But I personally need at least five pounds or more of live crawfish to boil just for me because I like the meat and button mushrooms better than the corn and potatoes. By the way, most of the crawfish I trap here in lower Alabama are white while most of the crawfish that get shipped in here from Louisiana are red with a few whites mixed in. I can not tell any difference in the flavor of either. I must note that the fat is very flavorful when eating right after boiling, but does not freeze and store well so it needs to be removed from any of the tails before freezing.

Mike0714, I use a lot of salt to purge and it works real quick. Like I said, salt is cheep when bought in fifty pound bags. I purge my blue crabs before boiling them also and since they come out of salty water already, it takes a lot of salt. It actually does not take nearly as much salt to purge crawfish, but I just use the same formula for all purging.

Comment

Santa-
                            Try throwing in a stick of butter and letting it melt in and dissipate before you boil your first batch. I find this somehow gets more of the Cajun seasoning (boil mix) into the mudbugs.
                            I use a 48 qt. pot.

Comment

I use Old Bay with a little cayenne pepper. My favorite bait is a filleted fish carcass.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad