Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eleven eastern states prohibit Sunday hunting. What is your opinion on this blue law? Are you in favor or against Sunday hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhead
    replied
    Whether or not I go to church is a matter between me and the almighty, not for some politician to decide.

If I choose not to go to church, I can go play golf, go for a walk in the woods, go fishing, drink beer at home, cheat on my wife, speak out against the bible, or encourage children to turn away from Jesus, but I can't go hunting.

None of these activities are illegal, regardless of the day of the week. Why is hunting?

I believe that in this country, a person's religious beliefs should be between him and god. As much as I don't want the government to prohibit me from practicing my religion, I don't want them to force me to practice theirs.

I want to hunt, and worship, on my own schedule.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I don't like the government and goofy politians controlling us based on their personal religious beliefs. As a matter of fact, I believe that our constitution even mentions that! I believe that if you want to hunt on Sunday, you should be able to do it regardless of your religion.

I've never hunted within five miles of a church and usually not where anyone else could hear my shot. I'm close enough to God to feel like a member of the family but I've never had any pressure from Him to avoid hunting on Sundays. Neither has hunting on Sundays ever prevented me from going to church and performing church services.

Nowadays, with a weekday schedule being common, many folks only have two days a week to hunt and often Saturday is overwelmingly busy with keeping the home and family running. Many deer seasons I've hunted only ran two weekends. I'm not sure where some are hunting but I suspect if the deer need a rest, they should find someplace to hunt that is not so crowded.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Randy, I checked out your link and I read your report on Sunday hunting.
    Just a point of information, you stated you can hunt on Sunday in New Jersey.
    You can archery hunt Sunday on private property and on state wildlife management areas.
    Sunday NJ firearm hunting is still prohibited.
    Good report thanks for sharing it.

www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2009/fallbow09.htm

Leave a comment:

• PAShooter
    replied
    Sunday hunting would be fine with me on private land, this could be controlled by the land owner. However on public land, I am in favor of no Sunday hunting. This allows our non-hunters to use public land more freely, or a great day for scouting game. Even though state land here in PA was mostly purchased or donated by hunters, it allows for a compromise.

Leave a comment:

• DEER30
    replied
    this has been a huge conflict over the past several years for me has I hunt in MD and VA where sunday hunting is restricted or banned. I wrote an article awhile back that can better state my personal opinion on the matter and some additional info should anyone be interested.
    www.deer30outdoors.com/sunday-hunting/

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    [Blank]

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    [Blank]

Leave a comment:

• Dbetzner
    replied
    I personally view it like this. If you believe that you shouldn't hunt on Sunday do to your religious beliefs (that's why its a law because religion) then don't go hunting on Sunday. However I don't see a problem with it and I shouldn't be penalized because of it especially if I only have Saturday and Sunday to hunt. I'm just glad here in Indiana we don't have to deal with that. Cant buy alcohol on Sunday (again see above) but can hunt. And if your for it why not no professional football on Sunday? you could claim the same reasons as no hunting just saying

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    As long as....
    Damned iPad

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Asking as little league baseball and youth soccer is banned, I'm ok with it. I only hunt on Sunday on out of town trips. Waterfowl hunting is on Sundays after church, except the last Sunday in January which is the last day of the season and a tradition of our hunting gang.

Leave a comment:

• Mdhunter1
    replied
    I have no objections to it.....but i believe that it should most likely be for archery.....as the boom from a 30-06 might make a few choir folks jump. Maryland allows Sunday hunting for bow-hunters.
    -Jack

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    Here in Michigan it was a decision that was left up to the counties. When I first started hunting, I think I hunted Sundays for the first 3 yrs. until I finally read it was illegal (oops!). But it happened a lot around these parts until the d.n.r finally made a point to put it in the books. Now it has been defeated by the people in the November votes. I love this country.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    In WV we live in the "Bible Belt" and I have grown up for over 60 years without hunting on Sunday. Growing up without ever hunting on Sunday we never really gave it a thought we just thought that was the way it was supposed to be. In the household I grew up in you were in Sunday School and Church on Sunday morning and no where else. The landowner that I hunt on now even if there was Sunday hunting would not permit it. We have 11 counties out of 55 in the State of WV that allow Sunday hunting on private property but not on the Sundays before big game seasons or during big game seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Thanks for commenting. I gave you all a plus one for taking the time.

I thought the F&S vote tally would go more in favor of Sunday hunting. I guess those eleven eastern states are little more religious then the other states. lol

jhjimbo, archery hunting on Sunday has been legal in New Jersey for the last five years. Nobody in Sunday mass can hear the twang of the bow sting.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    In my early hunting days, the deer season was only two weeks long, and I could hunt only on weekends. The Lord knew I meant well.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad