Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you hunt big game during windy conditions? Some hunters’ say that wildlife are very nervous during windy days and will hold u

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you hunt big game during windy conditions? Some hunters’ say that wildlife are very nervous during windy days and will hold u

Do you hunt big game during windy conditions? Some hunters’ say that wildlife are very nervous during windy days and will hold up tight in their bedding area.

Not a particularly good time to hunt, so I scout around some in hopes of catching one in a bed. When I was younger I used to crawl around in the pines on my stomach with my '94 30-30 across my arms like I was going under barbed wire. You could see legs for some distance and sometimes catch up to the deer for a shot.
    If you go at all, look on the lee side of hills.
    On real cold mornings I will watch the south or sunny side of hills as well.

Comment

This also depends on where you hunt. In places where high winds are more frequent, deer are more apt to move on windy days than in places where high winds are less common. Where I hunt, high winds are not common, I typically try to hunt near low areas where game can escape the wind. Think of it from the standpoint of prey, when it's windy, their sense of smell is disturbed and the environment is constantly moving and leaves are making noise making the detection of predators very difficult.

Comment

I typically don't have the time available to pick my days or come back another time if I don't like conditions - I hunt regardless of the weather. I believe animals are more skittish in high winds, simply because sounds and smells are diffused by the wind.

I also agree with huntnow - what qualifies as windy in one area may seem like dead calm in another. There's a big difference between hunting pronghorn on the prairie outside Laramie, WY, and white tail in dark timber in the Appalachians.

Comment

Windy days offer good opportunities for still hunting, since you typically can move, even in the woods, with your sound masked. This is where a good set of field glasses becomes essential, since this doesn't work unless you see them before they see you.

Comment

Ditto~Steve in Virginia...+1
            I hunt in North Fl,We don't often have Real Windy days, That's why 90%of Fl Hunters use T-Stands, But when the wind Pick-up it a Welcome sight to still-hunt,just like rainy days.

Comment

I have had good luck tracking on windy days because, as above mentioned, the wind masks noise. Also scent is typically going in a consistent direction. Good tracking snow and a steady wind makes for great hunting conditions. Windy days also are colder days. Colder days equals higher probability that animals will have to get up and move around to feed more during daylight.

Comment

Because of our short deer season here in WV we can't always pick our days. I usually hunt all 14 days of our buck season whether the wind blows or not. I hunt out of a blind and that works well because the blind masks my scent. The wind does swirl your scent around more. The animals do seem more "jumpy" when it is windy because there are so many things moving in the woods for them to see. I see a lot of activity even in the wind because our does are in heat during those two weeks.

Comment

I hunt whatever conditions are out there when I am available to hunt. I don't mind wind unless it is over 50 mph; then I get concerned with getting beaned by a falling limb. The lead on distant shots also gets a little more interesting but is OK as long as you have a wind meter. Sounds and scents are definitely masked and I find that game animals generally go after food just like they normally do.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad