Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on the new pup for those who helped. See first post

Update on the new pup for those who helped. See first post

Had her sitting and fetching within the first couple days. Getting her to come was a little more difficult because she seems to be easily distracted but she is getting better. I've been using a clicker and treats to train her. The only problem I've encountered while fetching is that she dosnt always want to give her toy back. In addition to my training at home we are taking her to training classes at petsmart. Also, I took her to the trap range the other day and the gunshots didn't phase her at all. Where do you all recommend I go from here?

Comment

Greediness in giving a toy back is a very common problem, they see the toy/fowl as theirs and they don't necessarily want to give it up; I wouldn't worry too much about it if she isn't aggressive about it.
      If you are going to be using her for duck hunting an introduction to water would be a good step, starting her out in water early will ensure that she is comfortable later on.
      Also training her to respond to a whistle would be a good idea since a clicker might not be very audible at a distance (especially in water).
      Good luck, but make sure they don't spoil her too much at petsmart or train her to be a wuss!

Comment

What's with the clicker? I have only recently started using a whistle to keep my dogs in range when pheasant hunting. I have always been real big on voice commands. It's easy to burn out a pup who starts early. Been a lot written about that. So be careful to not do too much too fast. My lab Opal was doing it all at age three months but that is very unusual. She followed her own very fast pace and never really looked back. Work on the basics primarily at this point - sit, stay, heal, come back. Is the pup real keen on pleasing you or is it a bit independent minded? Get her used to the cage or you'll have some problems with chewing while you're gone. It's also a good habit to get into for transportation purposes.

Yes, definitely get her into the water now while it's very warm. If you can take her out with an older dog who enjoys swimming that often times is all it takes.

Comment

OH, The clicker is something the trainer at petsmart introduced us to. It serves a different purpose than the whistle. You basically click the clicker every time she dose somthing good and you give her a treat. She starts to associate the clicker with doing a positive thing. This is supposed to help her learn faster. I haven't decided if she's and independent dog or not. When she's calm she will follow you around and pretty much do anything you ask her to. Sometimes she will just walk over to you and sit at your feet and look up at you like she wants a treat. On the other hand after waking up from a nap or any time she has a lot of energy she will just go nuts. She will run figure 8s around the living room, jump up onto anything and wind listen to anything. But after she winds down she goes back to being a good dog.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad