Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're handloading ammo like .45/90, .45/100, .45/110, or .45/120 can you use a slug from a .45/70?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Woof - I thought that accent sounded familiar! :-)

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    My (antiquated!) loading manuals show bullet diameters for the .45 (Long) Colt to range from .451 to .4515 to .454. The .45-70 Gov't, however, called for a bullet diameter of .458 only.
    The heaviest .451-.454 bullet was a 240 grain. The only .458 bullet advertised was 300 grains.
    I'm quite certain that all the above stated rifle "calibers" are the same. That would be .458.

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    WAM -

Thet's about it.

Big aggressive males cuss a lot.

Like unto a Chief Petty Officer.

Ah used to work with retarred Chiefs when Ah worked inna Navy shipyard.

Them boyz wood make a biker blush.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I can't figure out which dialect my Labradors speak. I think badazz for the black dawg as he is getting more cantankerous with age. I'm sure the little blonde Tiger Lily Scout speaks with a sweet Southern lilt. Not a cross bone in her body, unlike the big dawg.

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    DakotaMan -

Ah think beekeper is the only one who caught it in mah previous incarnation - blackdawgz.

But he lives in Georgia, too.

Ah is Black, from Alabammie, and like Louis L'Amour and talk a lot like his characterz..

Re the bullets...

REAL black powder shooterz slug the bar'l and git custom molds and the diameter is whut it iz.

Wish Ah could shoot a roffle like you!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Nope. Didn't know about a .45 Schofield. I load the 45/70, but not the others although I do have dies for the .45Colt.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I believe the term 45 Long Colt came into use at the same time as the 45 Schofield a shorter cased 45 caliber round. The Schofield round could be chambered in the former. But not vice versa. Hence the "Long" in front of the standard "45 Colt" cartridge.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    woof... not to hijack this thread, however, I must note that most South Dakota Labradors have no Southern accent or dialect whatsoever. I now live in Georgia and the labs here do seem to woof Southern.

Stinky... all these take a .45 caliber bullet regardless of its origin.

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    WAM -

Ah normally don't spell too well, butt it is almost always deliberate, to emphasize geographic origins as well as species-specific differences.

Labrador speak with a certain kind of Southern dialect.

Butt this time, Ah misspelt cho handle!

No offence itended!

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    greenhead -

We need more of thet here!

Good shot.

Hooweee!

Right upside thet ugly haid!

Leave a comment:

• Greenhead
    replied
    jimbo, woof is obviously talking about the .45 Colt, as it is "officially" known. It is VERY commonly called the .45 Long Colt, but you already knew that. There is no reason to be a jerk here.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    'woof,

I was not talking 'bout you! Referring to the members of Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey that hang out here. LOL

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    WAM -

A thousand pardons...

They said the rent includes all utilities here, butt they nevva said it wuzzn't dark in here!

Besides, dawgz cain't spell!

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    WAN -

Grrr Grrr...

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    Went to Wikipedia.

Turns out that the LC became attached to it at a time that the Army was using both the Colt and the Schofield, which had a shorter cartridge length.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad