Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question for all the military veterans on here, see first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question for all the military veterans on here, see first post.

I have a question for all the military veterans on here, see first post.

As some of you may remember from a previous post of mine, my grandfather was a sergeant-second class during Vietnam.
    Well due to my excellent DI voice and ability to call cadence, I have been asked to portray a DI for a military tribute at a church, and was wondering if it would be offensive to any military veterans if I was to wear my grandfathers chevrons, I have not served in the military (yet, although I am old enough I would rather wait and see how the next three years turn out first).
    Just to clear it up I would NOT be wearing my grandfathers actual uniform, but rather a facsimile of one.

Comment

I think everyone will understand you are only portraying the role for church.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this one. Guess it could depend on the context.

Comment

OHh it is purely as a tribute to the military, we hold nothing but the utmost respect for the military and it's members, current and past.

Comment

OHh it is purely as a tribute to the military, we hold nothing but the utmost respect for the military and it's members, current and past.

Comment

As it is a tribute to your grandfather I would not have a problem with that. I am a little confused though; what do the chevrons look like? I am familiar with most military ranks of other services but cannot recall a sergeant second class.

Comment

Chevrons on a non military shirt may not be recognizable for what they are.
                How about a period correct dress hat??

Comment

Ozark my correction, it is sergeant-FIRST class, not second. I remembered the first class, but I guess since it has two under-stripes I misspoke.
                  Good catch!

Comment

jhjimbo it is a military-style shirt, I was told that, for someone who has not served and does not have permission from the military, to wear a uniform is a federal crime.
                    And YES I have a DI hat, known as a "Brown Round" and "Smoky Bear" to wear.

Comment

I'm OK with that if no disrespect is intended.
                      John Wayne wore out dozens of G.I. uniforms without spending a day in the service.

Comment

Hey, I like the idea of being compared to John Wayne!
                        Thanks!

Comment

Just don't become a wannabe!

Interesting Census Stats and "Been There" Wanabees:

1,713,823 of those who served in Vietnam were still alive as of August, 1995 (census figures).

~ During that same Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country was: 9,492,958.

~ As of the current Census taken during August, 2000, the surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate is: 1,002,511. This is hard to believe, losing nearly 711,000 between '95 and '00. That's 390 per day.

During this Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country is: 13,853,027. By this census, FOUR OUT OF FIVE WHO CLAIM TO BE Vietnam vets are not.

The Department of Defense Vietnam War Service Index officially provided by The War Library originally reported with errors that 2,709,918 U.S. military personnel as having served in-country. Corrections and confirmations to this errored index resulted in the addition of 358 U.S. military personnel confirmed to have served in Vietnam but not originally listed by the Department of Defense. (All names are currently on file and accessible 24/7/365).

Comment

As long as your portrayal reflects respect to the uniform, I see no offense. Do a good job and make your grandfather proud.

Comment

I didn't serve, so take this for what it is worth, but I would think there would be a difference between portraying a vet (acting) and impersonating one (claiming to have earned the insignia).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad