Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do with the body of a bear that you kill in self defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with the body of a bear that you kill in self defense?

What do you do with the body of a bear that you kill in self defense?

I think you need to notify the Game Warden. He or she will probably take it.

Comment

OS
      If this is a "bear in the yard" thing, I'd practice the old 3S System we use around here.
      1. Shoot - and kill the dang thing! ESPECIALLY if it threatens you!
      2. Shovel - a hole and bury it deep! ESPECIALLY if it's your neighbors large, ill-tempered dog!
      3. Shut-up! Tell your wife that fresh dirt in the backyard is her new flower bed and if she'll tell you what she wants in it, you'll gladly and lovingly plant it yourself!
      If it's a griz on a Nat'l Forest trail somewhere, ya might oughta call a game ossifer!

Comment

No meat should go do waste. If on your property, or any private property, dress the bear and put it in the freezer. If you are on public land, contact a game warden and have them take care of it. They donate the meat to charities.

Comment

I think you should probably notify the game warden no matter where you kill it, but if it happened in the deep wilderness, I'd be sorely tempted to walk away and save myself a lot of grief with the authorities.

Comment

notify a game warden no matter where you are. Almost all of them will take the meat to local shelters and you can usually get the hide for the price of a tag unless it is protected like grizzlies in the lower 48 then the hide will usually go to local museums or local schools to use for education.

Comment

Here in Fl. Panthers,Black Bears are a Protected Game. If You Find one Dead you are Obliged to call local FWC or Sheriff Dep. You can Take Deer Road kill, But not Bears,Panthers.

Comment

Minus 1?
                That's precious! ROTFLMAO!

Comment

Better to notify DNR/game warden if you have to kill a bear. If it is a rogue bear they need to take tissue samples and other information. Just leaving it is never a good idea. It can and will come back to haunt you.

Comment

I agree with the above comments you should call law enforcement. No untagged wild game will ever go inside my freezer.

In my home state you can't pick up a fresh road kill deer unless you have a transportation tag from the local police. A dead bear on the road is confiscated by the Fish and Game for testing and research.

Comment

I would dress it and put it in the freezer and then take the skin to a place to make a taxidermy out of it for a memory of the time u killed a bear in self defense.

Comment

Inform the dnr...wouldn't want to lose my license for 3 years.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad