Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Oklahoma man was recently hospitalized for noodling when he grabbed hold of a cottonmouth moccasin. After a week in the hospi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Oklahoma man was recently hospitalized for noodling when he grabbed hold of a cottonmouth moccasin. After a week in the hospi

An Oklahoma man was recently hospitalized for noodling when he grabbed hold of a cottonmouth moccasin. After a week in the hospital and 14 doses of anti-venom, he advised fellow noodlers: "Be careful." How do you do that? Wear snake-proof gloves?

Of all the snakes of the world water moccasins creep me out the most. There is nothing that would make me get into water where moccasins live. Give me a straight forward rattler any day. That and a load of snake shot in my .44.

Comment

You can't fix stupid.

Comment

When diving in the Mediterranean, some guys would reach in holes to grab a lobster. I always thought they were crazy because the Moray Eels also liked to back into the same holes. I used to see them below moving around but never heard of anyone getting bit.

Comment

Folks been "noodlin" for years!
          My dad taught me NOT to be sticking my hands into underwater holes!
          In all actuality, if he grabbed a moccasin, he wasn't very experienced. You won't find snakes where catfish are holed up.

Comment

I would never stick my hand in a water hole. Let’s not forget the snapping turtles. Down south the huge alligator snapper can take off fingers without any problem.
            A pair of wet welder’s gloves is better then nothing.

Comment

There are Noodlin' Rules as hard and fast as Gun Safety rules!
              There's things you don't do and places you don't go. There are also chances you don't take. Experienced, educated noodler's don't have those problems.

Comment

What Sourdough Dave said-----

Comment

Id try noodling but only with a very experienced guide!!! But it would definetley be kinda scary putting your hand in an underwater hole!!

Comment

FirstBubba With all respect if you could post some of these hard and fast Safety Rules I think they might be interesting. The only one I can come up with is 1.Only grab a Trout in a clear mountain stream.

Comment

Carl
                      First off, I'm not a "noodler", but there's lots of 'em in this neck of the woods. Even if the fish don't bite, a noodler can have a fish fry! LOL!
                      NEVER go noodlin' alone.
                      Experienced and knowledgeable noodlers don't go poking their hands and feet in just any ol' hole. They have things they look for,especially hollow logs.
                      Snakes and turtles (air breathers) don't go into submerged logs.
                      Catfish "nest" in hollow logs.
                      I can't remember what the rule is for holes. Something about if it's open, it's a fish, if it's closed, stay out of it!
                      Once you establish a routine, you can keep going back to the same "hidey holes". Any fish you noodle will be replaced by a comparably sized fish.
                      Stay away from brushy areas. It's snakey and you can get hung up.
                      The show "Hillbilly Handfishing" is filmed mostly within 50 miles of where I am.

Comment

BTW! I agree with SD Dave on the moccasin thing. They stink and are ill-tempered!

Comment

I don't think the guy was hospitalized for "noodlin'"! The hospitalization was probably due to the snake bite! LOL!
                          Sorry amigo! I just couldn't resist the pun!

Comment

Bubba - You got me there.
                            If the man had died, the cause of death would not be listed as "Noodlin'"

Comment

I wonder if chain link cutting gloves used by butchers would help.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad