Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little Artic Trivia; (A) What color is a Polar Bears skin? (B) What color is a Polar Bears fur? (C) What part of a Polar Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry A.
    replied
    I know their hair is hollow, that is why you'll see some with a green tinge to to it in zoos. The algae from their pools gets into the hollow part.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    typo mistake hold not hole.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    I guess the panel is stumped?

The other two answers are a polar bear can smell a seal from 20 miles away and they can hole their breath for two minutes under water.

Greenhead, good question and I have know idea why their fur still looks white.

Leave a comment:

• Greenhead
    replied
    I knew the skin and the liver, but not about the clear hair. Anybody know why it appears white? I would guess it reflects the snow, but it appears white even in the summer when they walk the beach.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Ontario, you got them correct but Finland didn't make the list.
    Home of the Polar Bear;
    1. Alaska of the USA
    2. Canada
    3. Soviet Union (Russia)
    4. Greenland of Denmark
    5. Norway

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Douglas Mawson was the explorer I referred to above (the episode occurred in 1912-1913 and he died in 1958 not 1959). The condition is known as hypervitaminosis A. A very nasty way to die. Mawson was the only one in the party to survive. The first of the three disappeared in a crevasse, the second died a horrible death from hypervitaminosis, and Mawson survived, but just barely. During this expedition he observed wind gusts in excess of 200 mph. He also recorded AVERAGE wind speeds for MONTH of March 1912 at 49 mph; April 52 mph; and May almost 70 mph!!! An incredible story of survival.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Alright, that's more than one answer but for just one question so I guess I'm not in trouble?

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I'll guess the countries: USA, Canada, Denmark (Greenland), Norway, Finland, and Russia.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Old Stinky, your fifty per cent correct. Only the polar bear sows(females) hibernate.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stinky
    replied
    5. yes.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    No peeking and don’t hog all the questions. One answer per person, Ontario!

1. The polar bears are located in how many countries?

2. What are the Countries?

3. How far away can a polar bear smell their favorite food a seal?

4. How long can a polar bear hold his breath underwater?

5. Do Polar Bears Hibernate?

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I had it right except I thought the fur was really yellow.

One of the explorers to Antarctic learned the Vitamin A lesson the hard way. His name slips my mind. But he and his crew lost part of their supplies in a crevasse and tried to subsist on the livers of sled dogs. Their skin fell off, especially on feet. I believe the explorer died circa 1959 from natural causes and it was at that time still a mystery what caused the problem during the exploration. Incidentally, currently the most successful treatment for severe acne is to do exactly the same thing: overdose of Vitamin A. However, it has to be very carefully regulated by dermatologists.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Good one 99. The liver contains extreme amounts of vitamin A, like most Arctic animals. Eating the liver causes a over dose of the vitamin. I forget the name of the affliction but it causes your skin to fall off.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    An Eskimo friend once told me their teeth can also be a bit difficult to chew:-)

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Bingo!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad