Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Farm Bill" update!

"Farm Bill" update!

It seems as if the Republicans are starting to use their noggin for once. They are moving forward on the "Farm Bill" without food stamps included, and will bring food stamps up in another bill altogether. They are already being lambasted for the move! Here is an article on it from the AP

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FARM_BILL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT &CTIME=2013-07-11-01-58-16

Comment

I don't see that they will be able to pull it off. 70% plus of the average farm bill is devoted what is commonly termed welfare. Presenting this massive mountain of cash under the guise of farm payments has keep it off the RADAR of the average citizen for years. Neither the left or right want that 70% out in the sun.

Comment

Florida Farm bill passed in July 1-13 to Eliminate all Ethanol Gas in the State of Fl.

Comment

Florida Farm bill passed in July 1-13 to Eliminate all Ethanol Gas in the State of Fl.

Comment

Beekeeper, how right you are! In fact welfare A.K.A. SNAP is 80%+ of it, I've broke the bill down into each category several times here so people could see what is in it, and argued to have them do exactly what they are proposing. None of the Democrats will allow this and many liberal Republicans(oxymoron? I think not!)will not either. By doing this it makes it easier for the nimble minded to understand how much welfare costs, in turn turning off a whole lot of people that otherwise feel warm and fuzzy about it. We're at a crossroad in America that turns into a figure 8!

Comment

Here's the breakdown of the original bill several weeks back that didn't pass the house.

Food Stamps (SNAP) = $760.50 Billion (80%)
              Crop Insurance = $89 Billion (9%)
              Nature Conservation = $58 Billion (6%)
              Protec. on Com. Prices = $41.3 Billion (4%) Promote Intern. Trade = $3.6 Billion (.3%) Biofuels & Energy = $1.1 Billion (.12%)
              Misc. = $1.1 Billion (.12%) ----------------- Total cost over 10yrs = $954.6 Billion +-

Comment

$76 billion per year for 100 million people. That, by my math, is about $63 per month average per person.
                Really expensive program at the expense of the farmers.

Comment

jhjimbo, Your math is lacking! Try $633.75 per month per person. For a family of 4 (4x$633.75 = $2,535) this is more than I bring home after taxes, insurance, and my meager 401k contribution! [email protected] that makes me even more mad now that I think of it. Now I maybe jumping to conclusions not ever actually being on welfare, do they pay taxes the same as everyone else? Seems stupid if they did, but they still don't have to pay the $240 I pay 'WEEKLY' for HSA health insurance! They win regardless.

Comment

I took $76 billion per year total expense divided by 100 million people. That equals $760 per year per person. Divide that by 12 months and I got $63.00 per month per person.

Comment

In 1986(?), New Zealand farmers got their heads together and petitioned the Gov't to stop ALL (Yes, ALL!) farm subsidies and programs! Flat out!
                      Like to guess what happened to the agricultural community?
                      Less than 1% of farm went under.
                      Farm produce prices went down.
                      Farm produce profits went UP!
                      Competition in and for foreign markets improved immensely as well as decreased imported goods and their prices while improving the quality of goods both foreign AND domestic.
                      Game (managed by farmers instead of politicians!) populations increased.
                      Streams and rivers became less and less polluted with higher quality fisheries.
                      Gov't debt dropped and taxes eased. Excess produce found it's way into privately run welfare groups!
                      The farmers had a sheep disease that was giving them alot of trouble
                      They asked the Gov't to assist them with research. It is currently the ONLY link between Gov't and agriculture.
                      It was/is a WIN/WIN!

Comment

Like Larry Kudlow of CNBC says "Free market capitalism is the best path to prosperity" Too bad Washington does not follow that path - everything they touch turns to poo.
                        They are suppose to control the border and they can not even do that. We DO NOT have a broken Immigration System, the problem is we are not following the laws and procedures of the one we have. The main responsibility of the President is the Security of the United States. We are being invaded by a foreign Country and the President will do NOTHING, he shirks his responsibility every chance he gets.

Comment

Exactly! We have too many laws now. Selective enforcement by corrupt administrations who clamor for more laws to fix and cover-up their misdeeds.

Comment

WAM
                            I don't think it's "...fix and cover up...", I think it control and manipulate!
                            I think Obamacare is being used to kill private health insurance companies to be replaced with a Gov't single payer system.
                            Now the IRS is wanting to file your taxes for you. What a fiasco!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad