Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i just got bursitis in my shoulder from pitching in baseball. i shot my bow today and caused my shoulder to go "frozen" for awhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    I like the above mentioned advice to see a doctor. Hopefully you have bursitis and not a torn rotator cuff.
    When my bursitis starts to flair in my shoulder, and my right elbow (because of injuries from baseball too) I ice it, take ibuprofen, and take it easy for a few days. Like Buckhunter mentioned, working out and strengthening the muscles that support my shoulder has helped keep the flair ups in check and when they do come I have a faster recover time. If that is a route you choose to go, talk to a physical therapist as they would be able to give you the best advice for your situation.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I second the motion about avoiding anyone who would routinely give cortisone. I had one shot in the knee in Army AIT training back in the early 70s. It provided immediate and permanent relief. But the stuff is a bit scary. Anything usually is that works that well that fast. You don't get something for nothing.

By the way, after applying the Diclofenic I was able keep on fishing, although that was the end of using fly rod on that trip. We switched to fishing for walleyes from a boat in a very small river. Not much work involved but the action was incredible. Fortunately, walleyes on a spinning outfit, even the big ones over 23 inches, didn't beat me up like the middling to large rainbows on a fly rod. Of course, make sure your doctor okays the stuff. NEVER take someone else's drugs.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Panfry101,
    Since the injury happened some time ago, skip the ice. The arm should be rested and the joint kept warm - not hot. If possible, sleep on that side to keep naturally warm. Do not use a heating pad.
    The body warmth will promote healing. Main thing is not to strain the joint but do go through range of motion to keep it limber.
    This could take some time to repair so do not pull the bow string and aggravate the injury.

Leave a comment:

• Panfry101
    replied
    Stay off it for a bit, but as OHH stated, those creams really do work. My dad uses them for his carpal tunnel in his hands and he feels a good amount of relief from it. If I were you, I would just stay off it for a little while, ice 20 minutes on, an hour off, and use icy hot or a cream like it at night. A good quality large gel pack that you use as an icepack that you can get at places where they do physical therapy would be a good investment. They stay cold and you can mold them to your afflicted area. Good luck! Try to take it easy on them mound too if you have to pitch again soon.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Crossbow

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    If you want long term relief. Get a good Orthopedic Surgeon. Have him drain the bursitis and follow with a shot of Cortisone. If your any were near NYC get someone from Hospital for Special Surgery. It's what they do. Avoid anyone that will give you Cortisone routinely.

Leave a comment:

• MR AWESOME
    replied
    Ice and motrin sure help and sometimes heat to. I was recently on crutches because i messed up my knee i didnt go on crutches till 2 weeks after it happened. i walked and ran on it and ice and motrin definetley helped. If you insist on shooting drop the poundage to 50 or dont shoot at all.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    I am not one to give medical advice but when my shoulder is sore I do not shoot or shoot a lower poundage bow. If the pain persist I exercise the shoulder with light weights or push-up or dips. My thought is to condition the muscles around the bad area to compensate for the extra effort needed for heavy bows. On rare occasions I ice my shoulder.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Correction: Diclofenac is NOT a steroid or cortisone. I have had cortisone and this stuff works just about as fast and effectively.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Last summer I was prescribed something in Manitoba for the carpal tunnel in my hands and golfers elbow which are similar ailments to bursitis. I had been fly fishing in really horrible weather (windy and stormy) using a heavy rod and line and it was too much for my beat up old bod. Forearms to finger tips swelled up like balloons. I was in horrible agony especially at night. Would jump out of bed and dash into the bathroom to run hot water over the joints. Anyway, the pharmacist (who was son of our fishing guide) gave me some cortisone cream and pain killers. After one day the cream (Diclofenac 5% PLO) worked so well I didn't need the pain killers. Last fall when bird hunting in Montana I had an equally crippling recurrence after spending an hour trying to unlock my Jimmy with a coat hanger in a downpour (not a long story but a stupid one). The clinic in the little town I was staying in gave me a prescription for Arthrotec pills and it similarly performed magic. Hmmm. Just checked and Diclofenac is a major component of Arthrotec. If your doctor hasn't already tried the stuff, I'd sure recommend you ask him about it.

Leave a comment:

• jdwood
    replied
    My only thought other than resting your arm, if you were desperate to shoot would be to drop the poundage down on your bow like 10lbs if it has the ability. Something that will be much easier to pull back. But since moving your muscles like that will keep aggravating the problem rest is probably your best bet.

Leave a comment:

• i just got bursitis in my shoulder from pitching in baseball. i shot my bow today and caused my shoulder to go "frozen" for awhi

i just got bursitis in my shoulder from pitching in baseball. i shot my bow today and caused my shoulder to go "frozen" for awhile from the bursitis (Bow is on 65#)Prolly wont shoot for resst of week. Anybody else tried shooting with bursitis, any way to ease the pain of shooting besides not shooting at all??

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad