Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few days a ago, I bought a brand new Kimber. Everything seemed fine about the pistol but when I took it to the range I discove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Sounds a little strange to me. There is a possibility it could be the pistol but there is also a possibility that it is the shooter. A flinch will easily pull it up that far. The pistol could also be zeroed for competitive shooting where the shooter aligns the blade of the front sight with the BOTTOM of the black portion of the target circle. If this is the case, your rear sight should have enough travel to lower it for your preferred zero.

If your 50 foot groups aren't under 2 inches for five shots, I suspect you may have issues holding, aiming or firing the pistol. I'd suggest taking it to someone who knows how to shoot a pistol to help you diagnose the problem.

The correct sight picture is:
    1. Focus on the front sight only.
    2. Align the top of the front sight blade with the bottom of the black target circle.
    3. While holding the front sight to target alignment, make certain that the top of the front blade and the top of the rear sight are perfectly aligned.
    4. While holding these alignments (still focusing your eye on the front sight) align the pistol left/right until the visible space between the side of the front and rear sights are equal on both sides of the front sight.
    5. Make sure that the air space along the front/rear sights is centered left/right under the target circle (the target circle should be blurry but highly visible above the sight. It should look like a ball well centered right on top of your front sight).

I suggest using a solid rest to practice your sight picture and sight adjustments. Pistols are significantly more affected by trigger pull than are rifles. I sugest practicing dry firing to develop a trigger pull that does not move your sight picture on the target. Once you get it down, have a buddy load your pistol, occassionally leaving the chamber empty so you see the impact of trigger pull on your sight picture. It MUST be so smooth that it doesn't pull the muzzle up or down. This is so common, I just can't tell you how many times beginning shooters punch the target 12 inches above the bullseye. Good luck... I'm a Kimber fan. The price is for a great accurate pistol and they are that.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    Old Stinky, what did you find out from Kimber?

Leave a comment:

• Proverbs
    replied
    Depending on the Kimber model, sights are factory-set for different distances. Kimber will let you know the distance yours was set for, and which ammo was used.

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    This is not the first problem I have encountered with Kimber, matter of fact there have been quite a few. I suggest you contact Kimber. The last one I had problems with wouldn't even chamber a round and it was a .45 also. It only took 4 months to get it back from Kimber. I sold it as soon as I got it back. I hope you have better service from them than I did. The price you have to pay for them should warrant better service than what I have seen.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stinky
    replied
    99 and Hugo, I was using Blazer 230 grain full metal jacket .45 acp.

Leave a comment:

• Ol Krusty
    replied
    If you are going to be dry firing at all with the pistol, look into a 45 acp snapcap. They chamber just like a cartridge, and they give your firing pin something to connect with instead of nothing. Its something good to use on all firearms if dry firing.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    The question posted just after this one concerns the possible use of .45GAP ammo in a .45ACP pistol. I hope that is not the case here.

Leave a comment:

• HugoChess
    replied
    If you are shooting reliable and trustworthy factory ammo, you should contact Kimber they will help you. If you are shooting re-loads, then get reliable & trustworthy factory ammo because re-loads are not as reliable at such lengthy distances.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stinky
    replied
    When firing I made sure my sights were lined up right, and had already dry fired it multiple times before I shot it to practice and see if I was holding everything correctly.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    That should be make sure your finger is centered..........

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    Make sure of your sight picture. If the top of your front sight is not flush with the top of the rear sight you will shoot high. Dry fire, yes I said it, until you don't anticipate the trigger break. Make sure your finger in centered on the trigger. If none of these, or the above help, contact Kimber.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stinky
    replied
    I was holding very firmly WAM, and the same thing happened when my father shot it, and yes, he is experienced.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stinky
    replied
    I was using Blazer 230 grain full metal jacket .45 acp, the front sight matches the back one, and thinking back i'd say it was acually shoting higher than 2 feet.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I suspect an incorrect sight picture and/or a less than firm grip barring any mechanical issues. Why not take it to a range and let someone experienced try it? Call Kimber and ask what load the sights are set for.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Are you using reloads?
    If so, are they full velocity 230gr?
    A reduced load does tend to shoot high.

If you are shooting factory ammo, you should be talking to Kimber.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad