Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few days a ago, I bought a brand new Kimber. Everything seemed fine about the pistol but when I took it to the range I discove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few days a ago, I bought a brand new Kimber. Everything seemed fine about the pistol but when I took it to the range I discove

A few days a ago, I bought a brand new Kimber. Everything seemed fine about the pistol but when I took it to the range I discovered that it shoots about 1 to 2 feet high at 25 yards. So my father shot it to see if it was just something I was doing wrong, but when he shot it the same thing happened. Is there anything I can do about this?

Make sure the rear sight is in its lowest position.
    Check the owner's manual for instructions.

Comment

I don't think the sights are adjustable, I could be wrong though.

Comment

I just checked, they're not.

Comment

If you're using 185-200 grain bullets, try 230-grain hardball to see if it slightly lowers the point of impact. If you have a favorite load and choose to remain with it, I suppose the Novak-type front sight may be switched to a slightly higher one. My Kimber printed slightly to the left, so I drifted the rear sight slightly to the right, but it was tightly fit and difficult to move. My .45 has performed reliably for me, and I've cycled more than a few rounds through it. I think you'll be pleased with it.

Comment

I would call or E-mail Kimber Customer Service. Several factors could be affecting elevation. Are you shooting light bullets, or standard 230 gr. ball? How high is your front sight? Could have the wrong sight installed at the factory. Mistakes happen, even at Kimber.
            One to two feet is a lot of variation. How experienced are you at shooting a pistol? So many factors, so little information. Kimber Customer Service is where you should direct your enquiries.

Comment

Just a few questions for you to ponder if youhave not already. Exactly how high is it one foot or two. How is it grouping otherwise? Have you tried more than one type of ammo? Are you certain you are holding correctly for open sights?

Comment

Are you using reloads?
                If so, are they full velocity 230gr?
                A reduced load does tend to shoot high.

If you are shooting factory ammo, you should be talking to Kimber.

Comment

I suspect an incorrect sight picture and/or a less than firm grip barring any mechanical issues. Why not take it to a range and let someone experienced try it? Call Kimber and ask what load the sights are set for.

Comment

I was using Blazer 230 grain full metal jacket .45 acp, the front sight matches the back one, and thinking back i'd say it was acually shoting higher than 2 feet.

Comment

I was holding very firmly WAM, and the same thing happened when my father shot it, and yes, he is experienced.

Comment

Make sure of your sight picture. If the top of your front sight is not flush with the top of the rear sight you will shoot high. Dry fire, yes I said it, until you don't anticipate the trigger break. Make sure your finger in centered on the trigger. If none of these, or the above help, contact Kimber.

Comment

That should be make sure your finger is centered..........

Comment

When firing I made sure my sights were lined up right, and had already dry fired it multiple times before I shot it to practice and see if I was holding everything correctly.

Comment

If you are shooting reliable and trustworthy factory ammo, you should contact Kimber they will help you. If you are shooting re-loads, then get reliable & trustworthy factory ammo because re-loads are not as reliable at such lengthy distances.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad