Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess I'm a little bored today, so I just want to ask does anyone on here play any musical instruments? I know how much people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm a little bored today, so I just want to ask does anyone on here play any musical instruments? I know how much people

I guess I'm a little bored today, so I just want to ask does anyone on here play any musical instruments? I know how much people on here enjoy telling stories, and a lot of people consider music a form of storytelling, in the south you are hard-pressed to NOT find someone who can play guitar in a group more than 3 people large.

I play bass guitar and harmonica (if you can call that an instrument!) On bass I can play most any type of music (gospel, country, rock, I have a little difficulty with blues/jazz).
    I play bass for my church choir and during what some might call "shindigs" or "picking 'n singings".
    I know some professional singers and musicians (Mark Wills for one) so musical help isn't far away for me; or talent for that matter, my family has had some rather prominent gospel groups a number of years back, but I don't know about going professional myself.
    So what's your story?

Comment

I learned to play "Taps" on the bugle when I was in the Boy Scouts, and planned to take up the trumpet, but never got enough money together to buy one.
      I tried my uncle's fiddle, and found I could play as well as Jack Benny from day one.
      BTW, Jack Benny once visited Harry Truman at the White House, and was stopped by a Secret Service guard, who asked him what was in the violin case. Jack Benny said it was a machine gun. The guard allowed him to pass, saying he had orders not to let Jack Benny through with a violin.

Comment

guitar.

Comment

When my daughter was little I salvaged a beautiful old upright piano from a church basement and rebuilt it (and many others since then). My wife played well and I learned to play a bit. I enjoy singing and my voice is still not bad for an old guy. And I love dancing. Best way I know to make your wife smile (in public anyway). Boy, do I miss that.

Comment

Great story, 99!

Comment

I played a 5 string upright bass , which most people haven't seen, in the college stage band and concert band. I played a trombone in the college JROTC marching band. I play the piano and even now I play the piano to relieve the everyday tensions of everyday life. I don't play the piano anymore for much of anything except my own enjoyment or sometimes for our VFW Memorial Day Program.

Comment

Amazing story 99, I'll have to remember it!
                Habben I can't even begin to tell you how many people I know who play guitar, I wish I could get hang of it, my biggest problem is chord changes.
                OHH our church has an old upright also, they can be very beautiful sometimes!
                Sarge I can honestly say I HAVE seen upright basses before, I can't wait to find out if I can take my skills with a bass guitar and use them on an upright! And I know exactly what you mean when you say you play to remove stress, sitting down with my guitar is great to get the world out of my head. So what do you usually play for the VFW program?

Comment

I do not play. but our team member Kevin Jones does, and he is awesome! He can cover anything from Rage Against the Machine to George Straight. But his calling is country and southern rock. He also writes a lot of his own music. he plays just about everything. a small sample of his music can be heard at www.deer30outdoors.com/music/

I encourage everyone to check it out! Also, if you go to the DEER30 YouTube page you can hear our theme song written and performed by Kevin in the trailor video.

Comment

Jack Benny once told a story about how when he was first learning to play the violin, he would practice in the attic of his house every evening with the windows open so all the neighbors could hear him play.
                    Well, the neighbors must have thought he was great, because they took up a collection so that he could study in Europe.

Comment

Mspl8 ans Sarge-
                      We are of kindred spirit! I play 5-string electric bass! I have a dream of getting a band started with my friends and playing the bar scene around here. I'm a little on the musical side, and could probably play anything with a little bit of practice. I prefer rock, Led Zeppelin being my favorite band, but listen to heavy metal, a little country, and alot of classical. I played sax in band in school. I just can't sing worth a flip! My uncle has a gospel/country band and when they tune up, I'm the first one up cuttin a rug!

Comment

LOL 99, I love it!

Deer30, I just listened to "A different Road" by Kevin Jones on your site...WOW! This man has talent, I might try my hand at writing bass lines for some of those songs! Writing would probably be a challenge for me since most of the time I do improv. and don't even pay much attention to what I'm doing, it will most certainly be different trying to write as I go along!

Matthew I was beginning to think that everyone only wanted to play electric guitar! It certainly is nice to know that there are some bass aficionados out there still! I was recently in a music store and they had HUGE discounts on basses, I guess because they don't sell many, the clerk looked at me kind of strange when I went straight there instead of to the drums or electric guitars! However I only play a 4-string electric bass, I find it will do most anything you ask of it! (With my skill level anyway!)

Comment

99..That's the best story Yet.
                          Any Henny Youngman jokes?? or George Burns Quots?

Comment

I do not play an instrument. I have found that as I grow older Bluegrass music has touched a spot in my soul. Takes me back to when I was around the GREATEST generation in my youth. i.e. Grandparents, Great aunts and uncles. They are all gone now but the music brings them back to me.Dang, Im trying to tear up. Oh how I miss those folks!

Comment

As a kid, I wanted to play guitar. At about 8, dad and me went to a pawn shop, the only source of instruments in Smalltown, U.S.A. No guitars.
                              Fast foward - 2010 - my wife decides I "need" a guitar. The first 6 months were a bust. I wasn't able to accomplish much because frustration prevailed. Summer doldrums kicked in and the little Kona was a good time killer.
                              Two-and-a-half years later, I'm taking lessons and I wouldn't say I can "play" guitar, but that I know several chords! LOL! The wife and I attend a weekly "jam" session. Mostly country and inspirational. Hoping lessons will teach me to "play" rather than "chord" what's called "fake note"! Regardless of skill level, I enjoy it.
                              The best musician I've met is "Richard Smith". He's one of the top ten guitarists in the world. You can find him on YouTube playing with the likes of Tommy Emmanuel! Amazing!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad