Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kolbster got me to thinking. So has anyone here besides myself had a gun blow? What happened? Tell you about my experience late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kolbster got me to thinking. So has anyone here besides myself had a gun blow? What happened? Tell you about my experience late

kolbster got me to thinking. So has anyone here besides myself had a gun blow? What happened? Tell you about my experience later...

Well this is a little different, but we were hunting deer and my cousin saw a 6 point come up, so he sat down. The deer took a long look at him, and he waited to take the perfect shot *click* he pulled the trigger and nothing happened. It turns out that the bullet had no primer! I don't know how it was put in the gun without a primer (I guess nobody looked at the bullet first), but we were shocked. We check our bullets for primers now.

Nate

Comment

Never had a gun blow. But I did have a .410 shell blow in a bolt action shotgun when I was a teenager. I bought two boxes of bargain CIL paper hull .410 shells from the local Otasco store. The little gun was a great squirrel gun and how could I beat $1.00 per box for 3 inch shells. Third round blew up. The brass head of the case was in 4 pieces. Gas, powder and brass bits came back through the action. Scared the crap out of me. Took the gun home and cleaned it out and up. Then, being a teenager, I tried another one of the CIL rounds. You guessed it, Kaboom, another blown up round. I took the shells and the gun back to Otasco to show the store owner what had happend, still had the smut on my face. He gave me my money back along with a lecture on buying cheap shells!

Comment

I have never had a gun explode. I have had to remove spent cases with needle-nose pliers. I also had some "hot loads" from a once trusted friend, that blew the primer out of the case (the primer ended up getting into my bolt and blocking the firing pin).

While in the Corps, I was doing a live fire manuever and had shot about 300 rounds through my m-16. When I fired my last round I noticed it did not sound right. Upon cleaning the rifle I was unable to get a cleaning rod down the barrel. After much effort I got the rod through. The last round had become hung in my barrel about halfway down and plugged it. I remain convinced if I had fired another round it would have exploded.

Comment

Do muzzleloaders count?

Comment

Big O, Sure they do.

teufelhunden,

I realize you learned the obvious lessen there. I will repeat it for the sake of young people reading this post. Never shoot another persons reloads. You could blow you gun up using loads worked up for another gun.

Comment

In october 1970 I was in advanced infantry training at Ft Jackson S.C. One day my company was on a record fire range firing (M-16's)at pop up silhouettes. I was standing on the ready line waiting my turn when the soldier firing in front of the control tower squeezed off a burst (the Army teaches 3 rd bursts) and his gun blew. As luck would have it my eyes was on him as his "Mattel" came unglued. He wasn't hurt badly but the rifle was trashed. Don't know why it let go. It was military ball ammo.
              A couple years later I was at Ft. Benning acting as a bad guy training OCS candidates. My weapon was an M14. We was shooting blanks at candidates from an ambush. Now for safeties sake I'm not telling how this is done. However another guy poured the loads from several blanks into one and stuck it in my magazine while I was eating chow. Imagine the chagrin when I squeezed off three shots of 7.62 mm blank ammo and the rifle came unglued on shot #3. It did not injure me but the gun was totaled. The barrel bent, bolt flew apart, and the magazine went to pieces, Even the wooden stock split like firewood. The blank adapter was the only part not ruined. I was lucky my left arm held the forearm of the rifle from the side instead of underneath as most of the pressure and parts went out the magazine well. Definitely once was enough for me!
              We all probably know someone that likes to push the envelope when reloading ammo. That's why you shoot nothing but your own and factory fodder. Also be carefull, be very carefull using someone else' loading data.

Comment

Well you wanted my muzzleloader story, here it goes.
                A long time ago(in-lines had just started to come out)
                We had been having problems with our rifles(mine was/is a kit version that I've talked about before).
                It seems the #11 precusion caps were having problems ignighting the load(80/100gr.Black powder).
                So being the "genius's" that we thought we were, we opened up the hole on the "projection" the cap fits onto(Actual name was "blocked"/had to re-write this).
                In deferance to Del's comment I can't tell how because someone here might try it.
                Anyway one was used as a prototype and worked out quite well so we "adjusted" the rest of the rifles.
                A few days later on a farm we had premission to hunt(1600 acres/horse farm) I sat-up on a trail convergence(3 that looked like cow path's/no cattle here in 75yrs) with a triangle shaped area(brush-hoged) in front of me.
                After a bit 4 does came in from the left and into the brush, about 3 or 4 mins. later a nice 8pt. came in from the same area. So I raise the rifle, pick a spot(behind shoulder),and pull the trigger.
                BOOOOOOMMMMM !!!! Smoke(You know what I mean).
                I then feel wind in my hair(orange hats were/are required in Ark.) so I start looking for my hat.
                Behind me about 15ft. is my hat, ON FIRE!
                I go grab and put it out(burned a half-moon shape from bill) and start looking for "my deer".
                Out of the woods(to my right)come's my cousin and he has a look of panic on his face and asks if I'm O.K. I tell him "Ya, did you see my deer?".
                He said he saw my buck running for Little Rock(60 miles away) like he had a date. I asked if he was hit, he said no, laughing all the while.
                I asked him what was so funny, he said "You got to see your face". We headed to the trucks and by the time we got there most of the others were there. They started laughing at my face so I go look,If your old enough to remember Al Jolson doing "Mammy" then you know what I looked like.
                The "projection" had "blown" out of the rifle, blackining my face and setting my hat alight.
                It appeared the "projection" had not been replaced properly, and when I fired, it took the "path of least resistance".
                I started looking at in-lines soon after. I still use this rifle(been a while),and picked pieces of the "projection" from my face for years afterwards.

Comment

Had a friend who stuffed a 3 inch slug in his old 2.75" shotgun. Made a funny noise, ruined the gun, but no violent explosion or injury. Lucky.

Comment

Big O,

By projection I assume you mean N I P P L E ...

Comment

Somebody is conspicuously absent here. MMMMMMMM who could it be?

Comment

Del,
                        either kolb or clay would be my guess.

Nate

Comment

Big O Glad you were not hurt. That is a good story and shows even a front stuffer demands respect. 60256 I made a dumb comment, sorry for that.

Comment

To beekeeper,
                            YES, first time I wrote it all out it kicked it back because of N I P P L E(I guess), I did'nt think of spacing to get where I needed to go.
                            Thanks again Del, been awhile since I've got to tell these storys. Everybody's heard/ lived them with me here.

Comment

Never just load a muzzleloader without checking how far the ramrod sticks out after loading. You should have made a mark on the ramroad IMO. You could have double-loaded it.

Anything can happen in the excitement of shooting at game.

Have no personal experience with that happening, but have loaded the bullet without the powder. They say Civil War guns have been found that way, the gun loaded with the bullet but without the powder, then the soldier fires and doesnt realize his gun didnt go off [too much noise with all others firing]. Then he loads another round of powder and ball [which won't fire] and maybe even another. They've found guns like that on battlefields.

But the nightmare is to double-load a fire-able load.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad