Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Del and Clay how many grans of powder do YOU use in a 150gr 30-06, useing IMR4350 powder, i am useing 54gr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Del and Clay how many grans of powder do YOU use in a 150gr 30-06, useing IMR4350 powder, i am useing 54gr

Del and Clay how many grans of powder do YOU use in a 150gr 30-06, useing IMR4350 powder, i am useing 54gr

You did not say what case or primer you are using and either one can make a big difference in the pressure you get. According to my data 54 grains is fairly mild. You should be able to work your way up to around 59 grains, maybe even 60. But keep the differences in mind and carefully work up a half grain at the time while looking for signs of high pressure each time you shoot. Example: military brass is thicker and as such has less volume. Because of less volume it will take less powder to reach max pressure. At the first sign of high pressure back off a full grain and don't go any higher. Watch for: sticky bolt lift, hard extraction, blown primers, bright spot where the ejector touches the back of your case, cratering where the firing pin strikes the primer (soft primers will make this a hard one to judge) AND when you resize your brass and seat a new primer does the primer pocket feel loose? If the new primer goes in too easy where they were tight before firing you have too much pressure. High velocity is fun to brag about but accuracy is more important. This load should clock about 2900 fps. A full grain of powder will only boost velocity about 50 fps. I've seen 2 rifles blow up (one in MY hands) It's not worth the risk. Keep in mind each gun is different and use these loads at your own risk.

Comment

IMR4350 maybe nice, but I like IMR4064 with 53.0 grains much better! Start at 51.0 and work up!

Bt the way, 53 grains is a bolt gun load and nothing else period!

Comment

I shot 55.5 IMR 4350 in a bolt gun(Win. Mod. 70).
        She'd shoot about 1 MOA(and smaller) with this load.
        We tried 53 to start and wound up at this one.

Comment

Big O

54.0 grains, you might as well be shooting a 30-30!

150 GR. NOS BT

IMR IMR 4350

Min 54.0gr 2745 47,400 PSI

Max 58.0C 2942 57,200 PSI

Comment

kolbster, Imr 4350 is a tad slow for 150 grain bullets. For 150 grain I have to agree with Clay (as much as I hate to ) haha, I use IMR 4064 53 gr. max. Less is better if you get accuracy. For deer hunting my best load with IMR4350 is 56.5 grains under a 165gr Interlock. WLR primers, cases neck sized only.

Comment

Sorry did I not finish the resipe(?)
              Here it goes.
              55.5 gr. of IMR 4350
              165 gr. Nos. Game King
              Fed. Lg. rifle primers
              Winchester Brass.
              Not Everybody likes the crap kicked out of them.
              Oh, a buddy shot this round same year we "cooked up"
              and killed a 928lb(live wt.) 7x6 bull with one round, cliping one lung. Ran 150yds.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                  by jhjimbo
                  What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                  Today, 01:16 PM
                • Another New Upper
                  by DakotaMan
                  Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                  Today, 12:54 PM
                • Reply to Another New Upper
                  by FirstBubba
                  Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                  Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                  Today, 01:12 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                  He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                  Today, 01:11 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X