Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 4th of July is rapidly approaching so what have you all got planed to cook for the big feast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 4th of July is rapidly approaching so what have you all got planed to cook for the big feast?

The 4th of July is rapidly approaching so what have you all got planed to cook for the big feast?

My part of the cooking just started with me taking a piece of alligator back strap out of the freezer to thaw. It is tough meat so I plan on marinading in the fridge for two days after it thaws and then slicing it thin against the grain before putting it on the grill along side of fresh silver queen corn still in the husk. I also just scratched some fresh sweet baby potatoes which are only about two inches long to boil so that they can be eaten skin and all with fresh homemade butter. I have yet to go to a friends patch to pick a watermelon, but that is in the plans too. Anything else that gets cooked or prepared will be my wife's duty.

Comment

Well, after all that, you just put my deer roast brisket in the shade, so I will go back under the porch.

Comment

Ah dunno...

We don't have gators (fortunately) up here in Yankeeland.

Mebbe baby back ribs in Stubbs barbeque sauce and corn roasted on the grill and garlic toast order do it!

Comment

Santa, you have made posts like this before. You are gonna mess up one time and Ill be in the area. That means I will be at Your doorstep to beg a meal! lol

Comment

Almost forgot Ill be working in Lakeland FL. Unfortunately another day for me.

Comment

For me its Pot-luck at the VFW with some fine looken Church Ladies, They can Cook-up a Storm an such...Red-Bean Gravy with Bacon over Wild Rice,Fresh made Corn Bread with all the Fixens.

Comment

Traditional 4th of July.
                BBQ brisket, homemade 'tater salad, baked beans (my recipe) and blackberry cobbler w/ homemade vanilla ice cream.
                GERG - I'm a long way from Lakeland, Florida, but you'll be welcome when you get back into the area!
                P.S. - It ain't been a hunnerd but twice.

Comment

I have to work, so I'll likely be eating some cruddy fast food.

Comment

FirstBubba, out of the many things that I miss from my early childhood, my mother's homemade Guernsey cow ice cream is one of them. Also my wife picked dewberries this season and froze some. Your meal sounds so good that I just might try to bribe her into making a cobber. We have a friend who has a Jersey milk cow that we are able to get a little cream from sometimes. That is how my wife makes homemade butter. I will check with our friend to see if I can get some fresh cream from her and try the ice cream also. Thank you for the idea.

GERG, You know that you are always welcome. We are just plain old country folks who live off the bounty provided by the land and water. When I was real young, my father ground our own flour and corn meal, butchered our own cows and hogs, hunted quail and turkey, and grew most of the veggies we ate. His real love though was fishing. It was a way of life that I grew up into and just can not give up. My wife was a country girl who could always cook anything I brought home and make it taste good. You have met and seen me so you know good food is no joking matter around my home. I did not get this fat from eating healthy. After all, our labors just go to feed us anyway and no matter what my doctors say about it, I plan to die with a full belly and a smile on my face.

Comment

I've got a couple racks of wild boar ribs that I will smoke low and slow for most of the day. Some friends will bring cole slaw and potato salad.

Comment

Baby back ribs, watermelon, corn on the cob, potato salad, and something for desert ( I don't know what yet)

Comment

We hope my son (active duty Navy) will get leave or liberty and join us for barbecued chicken and hamburgers to celebrate his birthday, which is actually on the 9th.

Comment

Firstbubba- sounds like you are having a delicious feast. Gotta love gator, corn and watermelon.

Comment

Santa I'm gonna BBQ a whole wild hog that my wife shot. We'll have silver queen corn, apple pie baked beans and red, white and blue potato salad made of All Red, Purple Majesty and Caribe taters from our garden. Desert will be a churn of fresh peach ice cream. Drop me an email when you get a chance. I hope your health has picked up since our last conference.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad