Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Day is the 63Rd Anniversary of the Forgotten War and the Men that Served.This is for the under 30Yr old Boys....NO peeking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99explorer
    replied
    I just finished reading "Stuka Pilot," by Hans Ulrich Rudel, the most decorated German soldier in World War Two. He was the German Audie Murphy raised to the power of ten.
    During a six year period serving on the Russian front, he flew 2,530 combat missions, in which he destroyed 800 enemy vehicles, 519 Russian tanks, 150 artillery pieces, 70 landing craft, 9 aircraft, 4 armored railroad trains, and several bridges. Flying over water, he sank a Russian destroyer, two cruisers and the Soviet battleship Marat, with about 3,000 men aboard.
    He was shot down 32 times, sometimes behind enemy lines, and was wounded five times. He finished the war flying with his right leg amputated below the knee.
    He was awarded the highest decoration in the German military several times, the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (our Congressional Medal of Honor), the last time with gold oak leaves, crossed swords and diamonds, representing multiple awards of the Knight's Cross, all presented by Hitler himself.
    A fantastic story. It is out of print, but copies are still available on ebay.

Leave a comment:

• LostLure
    replied
    Honker- yes sir, I recieved it in Baghdad back in 2007 from an IED. Lost one of own that day.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    jhjimbo, many generals can check their egos and do. Sounds like he was one of the better ones who lead by example and held his officers to the same standard he expected from himself. Not all that familiar with Air Force brass except LeMay, Dolittle, and some of the other WWII flyers. On a side note, actor Jimmy Stewart was a decorated WWII bomber pilot and retired, I think, in the grade of Brigadier.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    OH, not being argumentative but MacArthur was never Commander-in-Chief. He disregarded direct orders from that artillery Captain from WWI who was C-in-C and knew the chain of command very well. Truman did the right thing in relieving him.

Instead of using the term self aggrandizing I should have said self promoting. At that level politics takes over and unfortunately if you step on the wrong toes or something else with golf cleats you will not be promoted. Yes I agree MacArthur was abrasive and an egomaniac but so was Patton and both delivered in WWII.

Lostlure, you are entirely correct about the Presidential Unit Citations. If you were in the unit when it was awarded or in the unit at the time of the action taken to win the citation you were it for the length of your service. If assigned to the unit, you only wear it for the duration of your assignment.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    99, 2nd Division patch (which of course I saw quite a bit in Korea) is very nice but I guess I have always been partial to 1st Cavalry and screaming eagles (101st Airborne). At first I never cared for the appearance of "flaming arseholes" patch (9th Division) but it eventually grew on me.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Thanks for clearing that up LostLure. I couldn't remember. My dress greens in the cedar chest do not have the unit ribbons from Korea but my khakis do. Khakis seem to be fitted out as they were when I was overseas. Greens as when I finished up stateside. Both have the MP armband but khakis with 8th Army patch and greens with 8th Army combat patch on left shoulder. And guess what? I can still fit into my uniforms. Easily. Almost forty years later.

LostLure, I presume you have earned the award in your avatar? I salute you for that. Without reservation and in all humility. I'm disabled vet 20% but not combat related. On the job though.

Leave a comment:

• LostLure
    replied
    I can shed some light on the unit awards. While assigned to a specific unit you are entitled to wear every unit award awarded to your unit. If you were assigned to a specific unit while that unit was awarded a unit award you are entitled to wear that award for your entire career no matter what unit you serve in. Hope this makes sense and helps.

Honker- didnt realize you served, Thank You for your service

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Honker - Of all the shoulder patches, I believe the Second Division is tops for good looks. A red Indian head with feathers, centered in a white star on a black shield.
    I think the World War One Victory Medal is the most colorful, with a double rainbow on the ribbon. I once knew an old career soldier who had both the World War One Victory Medal and the World War Two Victory Medal, with the NDSM added for Korea.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    99explorer, thanks for those dates. Extremely interesting. I was an MP desk sergeant at a medical center until my end of duty December 1974. I know for a fact that I had at least three new patrolpersons coming out of AIT right at the end of 1974 that started working for me and each still wore that ribbon (and only that ribbon). Hmmm. I guess they would maybe have been in basic just at the tail end of that Vietnam "conflict" period. Incidentally, the Expeditionary Medal, which you also mentioned, has without a doubt the most colorful ribbon of any medal ever issued by the US military. As a Korean vet I wore that one too. The Korean government awarded a presidential unit citation to various UN forces units that is perhaps the most beautiful unit ribbon (worn over the opposite side breast pocket as the personal ribbons). Once a unit receives a unit citation any soldier who serves in that unit is entitled to wear that ribbon as long as the unit remains extant, but I cannot remember if it is only while he is in the unit or for perpetuity. Seems I wore mine even after I came stateside but that may have been because I served in a combat unit (at Panmunjom) and was thereafter entitled to continue wearing that unit's shoulder patch on my opposite shoulder (current unit's shoulder patch always being worn over the right shoulder). Combat designation MAY have entitled me to continue wearing the unit citations as well? Some of the retired lifers on here (WAM) might have a better recollection of how that went. My post-Korea combat shoulder patch was Eighth Army which only the very small MP detachment in Panmunjom was entitled to wear (being the only soldiers attached directly to Eighth Army who received combat pay). Can't tell you how many times some officer stopped me stateside and asked me about that patch.

I would have to say that the ribbon for the Medal of Honor is one of the most nondescript. A dark blue background with tiny white stars. You really have to look for it. And as a soldier you MUST NOT overlook it because the Medal of Honor ribbon MUST BE SALUTED even if it is worn by a private (and yes, I did see one worn by a private). A five star general would be required to salute that private's medal (and I would have been thrilled to write him up if he didn't!). But he would salute ONLY the medal, looking at it and not the wearer (though out of respect many did also salute the wearer, however the wearer is not required to return the salute and if he is an enlisted man or NCO he properly SHOULD NOT return the salute and the saluter should not expect it).

The Vietnam service medals/ribbons were pretty nice looking. Purple heart gets my vote as the most beautiful medal - in the world (but Expeditionary Medal's ribbon is still nicer looking than the Purple Heart's). Army Commendation Medal has an easily noticeable unique forest green ribbon with white stripes. Too bad it's such a useless award. I could have written myself up for several. My boss in Korea wrote himself up for one for conducting people out of the PX during a silly phoned in bomb scare. Pffft. What a hero! Maybe Sgt Perkins was related to General MacArthur. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Not really acquainted 99. I met him in my Dad's real estate lawyers office as a child. The lawyer was Mr. Sutton's pro-bono lawyer. He was very well dressed and took the time to shake a Little kids hand. Something that was not common in those days. My Dad later told me that he was a famous bank robber. My Dad also introduced me to Jack Dempsey. His restaurant was around the corner from my Aunt's apartment. Another nice man with a hands that went half way up my forearm as I remember.

Leave a comment:

• LostLure
    replied
    Honker- I also do not know who was the first to actually wear a cord on their shoulder/sleeve. I just know the history behind the blue cord for the infantry. After arriving at my first duty station I was given the assignment of learning the background/history if the infantry blue cord.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I once shook the plump soft little hand of Nelson Rockefeller as he passed through my town in a motorcade, riding in an open limo just ahead of Richard Nixon. The Secret Service didn't let me get anywhere close to Nixon's limo.
    My brush with immortality.
    I believe Carl once said he was acquainted with Willie Sutton.

Leave a comment:

• mspl8sdcntryboy
    replied
    The highest ranking man I have ever met is the deputy chief of our local police dept.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I can honestly say I have never met a Commander and Chief. But I have met a few Trauma and High Risk Surgeons. Allow me to play the Devils Advocate. Carrying that mantle of life and death is not a place for self doubt or a shrinking violet. The Professionals although very good men with only the best intentions all posses an air of self importance. They do, where others would hesitate. Look at Lincoln and Jefferson Davis. They pitted Americas best against each other with a lose who's total has not been equaled in total in all the future wars Combined. Churchhill was shunned when he wasn't needed for a war. My Dad once said Great Men do not always make Great Friends.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    WoW...look at all the History and Knowledge exchanged here on this site......Great Job to ALL!
    and may the Good LORD watch over the Men & Woman that Served in Korea.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad