Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Day is the 63Rd Anniversary of the Forgotten War and the Men that Served.This is for the under 30Yr old Boys....NO peeking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Day is the 63Rd Anniversary of the Forgotten War and the Men that Served.This is for the under 30Yr old Boys....NO peeking.

To Day is the 63Rd Anniversary of the Forgotten War and the Men that Served.This is for the under 30Yr old Boys....NO peeking.

Name the WAR...for Extra Points Name the General, Name the President...At that Time.

Comment

I would guess that it was the police action called Korea and Truman would have to have been the president. It the start of the cold wars even though congress never declared it a war.

Comment

*It was the start*

Comment

Come santa your 32Yr old.....Not Fair

Comment

Opps, just could not help myself because of how congress did not declare war and the different treatment returning soldiers got compared to those returning from WWII. Even old general "I will return" was not happy with the way the war was handled from the white house and eventually lost his job for expressing such. Even the people of this country thought that the object of fighting was to win, not just defend a line on a map. North Korea was fighting to win, but by the presidents orders, US soldiers were there in SOUTH KOREA to just preform a police action.

By the way, as you said I am just a tiny bit over at 32, after all Jack Benny was only 39 when he died. ROTFL

Comment

Can't tell you the General, but a little more history on the Korean war. During the Korean war was when Infantrymen got their blue cords and blue disks behind their branch insignia. Since moral was low for infantryman fighting the Army created something as a moral booster for them and also to identify them to others as infantrymen fighting on the front lines. Since then every infantryman that completes basic training and AIT are awarded the blue cord and blue disks.

Comment

Since the others got here before me I'll just answer the question about the general, it was MacArthur. Who orchestrated one of the most daring moves since D-Day, the landing at Inchon, with only a very small piece of South Korea not in communist control it was imperative that this operation work or freedom would be forgotten in ALL of Korea today. The operation worked so well that not only did we drive them back over the 38th parallel, we drove them (them being North Koreans and Chinese) back into China!
                My grandfather served during this time, I am not sure of any combat service, but I tell I won't forget that war and neither will the South Koreans because they are free today and not being controlled by an overly hormonal social outcast.

Comment

Prior to the Korean Conflict, a victory medal had been awarded to our servicemen after a war.
                  Because we did not achieve a victory in Korea, Eisenhower instituted the National Defense Service Medal, which is now awarded to all military personnel taking part in an armed conflict without regard to its legal status or outcome.

Comment

My History Teacher was "One of the Chosin Few". A good man and not an easy A. My memories of him center around one instance. He told us that he was going to a reunion with his fellow Marines. Mentioning that he and his brothers had washed their socks in the Yalu River. The school was not giving him off. He gave us our next day assignment and we were on our honor. The school blinked and we had a sub the next day. What can I tell you it was the 60's. Looking back at my year book anyone could see he carried himself differently from the rest.

Comment

The Forgotten War was also known as "World War Two and a Half."
                      I guess that would make the Vietnam War "World War Two and Three Quarters."

Comment

It was a "Police Action" because it was a United Nations effort which the US contributed the majority of the troops. MacArthur was a genius in choosing Inchon for the the first offensive action of the war, what he forgot was part of his oath of office. He decided he did not have to follow the orders of those appointed over him, namely Truman. The one blight on an otherwise stellar career. He also forgot his own advice about not getting involved in a war in Asia. It is a shame that those who fought were forgotten so quickly.

Comment

I think politicians and their sons and daughters should be the first ones to go in the next conflict.

Comment

Ozarkghost, do your homework. MacArthur was a grandstanding, self-pontificating arsehole. That jerk was responsible for the worst blight on American military history. In 1932 he ordered his troops (including George Patton's cavalry and tanks) to beat up the Bonus Marchers in Washington DC. They were peacefully demonstrating US veterans requesting Congress pay them the bonus promised when they came home from WWI. These boys were in dire straits. They were perhaps the best organized, most sanitary, and best behaved demonstrators in US history. Nevertheless, MacArthur saw a way to get his name in the headlines. He exceeded his orders that time as well but managed to use his showmanship to escape the consequences. But during the Korean War Truman proved to be not quite the pushover that Hoover was. MacArthur also never adequately explained why, though he was advised otherwise, he kept the planes at the Philippines airbase all out in the open and in a nice neat row days after Pearl Harbor so Japanese pilots could swoop in and destroy them on the ground. At the Bonus Marchers one of his aides, Ike Eisenhower probably described MacArthur best as "that dumb SOB." MacArthur's lack of leadership competence during WWII was probably only surpassed by Montbatten ... and Churchill. The jury is still out on whether the landing at Inchon was heroic and ingenious or an unnecessarily costly blunder for the results obtained. Anyway, as a disabled US veteran I have absolutely no use for that guy. I will debunk the MacArthur myth every chance I get. Nothing but a spoiled momma's boy who never grew up. And wasted a lot of good men's lives in the process.

The National Defense Service Medal is supposed to be given to everyone who serves during time of conflict. Since the US has essentially been involved in conflict somewhere or other since 1953 (police actions, peacekeeping, etc.), the medal has been awarded to everyone serving since then. Typically it is given out during basic training (hence its nickname as the KP Badge). I should also mention that the Korean War technically still exists because the UN and North Korea are still negotiating the peace treaty. Hostilities have ceased but only under a "temporary" armistice. On that basis alone, every serviceman/woman anywhere since 1953 has been entitled to the KP Badge since US troops have since then been continuously committed to UN forces in Korea.

Comment

OH not wanting to get into a debate with you but by definition any General above the the rank of Brigadier is a self aggrandizing individual. MacArthur was never an exception to that rule. Oh and by the way MacArthur was ordered to break up the strikers. Yes they were well behaved but it was feared by others in high up government that they were forming an army to overthrow the government. We can debate it more but yeah I am very much aware of MacArthur's foibles.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                I do feel sorry for those rookie cops on the scene who had their backs to the brutality being committed by their senior officer.
                                Today, 06:00 PM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by DakotaMan
                                I tend to buy scopes to fill a need that I already have in hand. I always shop hard and can usually find a good deal somewhere on the planet when I am...
                                Today, 05:48 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                                by dewman
                                As long as no lightning I don't care if it rains.
                                Today, 05:45 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X