Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a mobile home on 200 acres that I use as a hunting cabin. My sister and husband went up to mow grass this weekend and wh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a mobile home on 200 acres that I use as a hunting cabin. My sister and husband went up to mow grass this weekend and wh

I have a mobile home on 200 acres that I use as a hunting cabin. My sister and husband went up to mow grass this weekend and when they went inside, there was a rattle snake on the floor. Scared the pi$$ out of them. I know that snakes are drawn to the trailer due to the mice that can get in. I put out all kinds of poison for the mice and the yard is mowed every other week so there is no tall weeds. How in the hell do I get rid of these rattlesnakes. Bro in law suggested carbon monoxide by running a generator inside. Not sure that would kill the snakes if they are in the walls or underneath the trailer.

I would start by eliminating the food source. Don't leave food in the trailor or anything that would attract rodents.

Seal up all loose panels, boards etc.to prevent both mouse and snake intrusions.

Continue to keep area around the trailor maintained and extend the cleared area.

In reality, snakes usually find a way in whether its in search of food, water, shade, shelter, etc. But eliminate as many attractions and points of access as you can and you should definately see a reduction in encounters.

Comment

He's more than likely coming in around the sewer and water plumbing pipes. Or possibly around a loose fitting door. Get some spray foam sealant and fill those gaps. The snakes will probably still get underneath that trailer for the shade. Not much you can do about that except keep your eyes open going in and out. Sometimes life in the wilderness is a bit uncomfortable. That's why it's still the wilderness.

Comment

When I was growing up, my mother always put out white lime in two inch wide lines around the yard, house, and all her flower beds to discourage snakes. She told me that if a snake crawled over a thick lime line two inches wide, it would get under the scales and the snake would never be seen again. I know this might just be an old mother's tale but it has worked well for me, but then it also keeps elephants away too because I do not have then either.

Comment

have *them* either

Comment

I was always told to lay my lariat in a loop around my sleeping bag and the snakes wouldn't try to crawl in the sleeping bag with me. Anybody else every heard of this rope trick? I seldom camped out in snake country when they were out so not much of an issue.

Santa, I suspect a lime line probably worked well ... until it rained?

Comment

I would set live traps with bait similar to what they are eating in your trailer and then simply relocate the snakes.

Comment

As others have said, seal off all access for varmints. They should have no way to get inside unless you want them to. Sewer/plumbing pipes are the most common access points for snakes but you may have others if you have a rotting floor or damage to siding, etc.

Comment

OH - I believe I seen that trick in a John Wayne movie. I think it was Rooster Cognurn.

Comment

Cogburn

Comment

Att: Jay Wal*Mart in their Garden Dep.They have Snake- Be-Gon and other Snake Removers Stuff.

Comment

OH been told that many a time. Another old wives tail is to spread out mothballs and they will avoid that area. There are snake granules that you can put out along with tick granules. It just depends on how much trouble you want to go through to get rid of them.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. The trailer is about 40 years old and not in the best of shape but its all I have at the moment. Even if I seal up all the holes in the floor I'm concerned the snakes could climb up the interior wall and into the ceiling as well. I'm not a big fan of snakes but I'm not scared. Rattlesnakes are a different story. Not sure whatever I do, I could ever feel comfortable sleeping at night and having my kids up there. I don't like sleeping with one eye open. I read online about nailing a half a dozen mouse glue traps onto a piece of plywood and catch the snake that way. Problem is, I don't know if there is one or one thousand.

Comment

I'd stick my Mother-in-Law in there for a couple nights. Any critter left standing after that will have earned his own room.

Comment

Bullet to the head or chop its head off with a shovel but i would only do that if one is about to bite or is being aggresive.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad