Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so at the wildlife management area near me we have found alot of ponds and streams with tons of fish in them. There are alot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so at the wildlife management area near me we have found alot of ponds and streams with tons of fish in them. There are alot

Ok so at the wildlife management area near me we have found alot of ponds and streams with tons of fish in them. There are alot of man made ponds all over the place and we found one today that sits at the bottom of a cliff. I think it used to be like a quarry or somthing. There's alot of mining/natural gas pumping going on out there but it's never seemed to affect any other ponds or anything. We were wanting to swim in that pond by the cliff tomorrow and I just wanna double check and make sure that it's safe. It's man made obviously. It's divided into to ponds by a Levi in the middle of them. There both fairly deep and the water is clear for Afew feet. I've got two different apps that are maps of the earth (one is in spring and one is in the winter) and in the spring picture the ponds are almost dried up, and in the winter pictures it's overflowed over the Levi is and one big pond. One one end of the pond it gets shallow and it looks to me like all of its like run off rainwater or somthing. And we did see a snake and a turtle there today so there's life in it. Is there anything that I'm missing? I just want some more opinions to make sure that it's safe to swim in.

Be careful of unknown ledges, I know of a couple kids who are now in wheelchairs from broken necks... Just be careful.

Comment

GO swim in your local Pools with a Lifeguard! you are coming in to Snake matting season,(June to August)..just saying Be Safe

Comment

If it doesn't look like pea soup or smell to high heaven you're pretty safe to assume it is ok. The drilling in the area will not play a factor unless there was a spill but you would know that because, there would be an oil slick on top, people in hazmat suits and the EPA and all kinds of other government officials will be there with lights a flashing. Go swim and have fun.

Comment

I don't see why not. just don't dive, drink the water, and be sure to keep an eye out for snakes. take a snakebite kit. better safe than sorry.

Comment

Also keep the worm away from the turtles!

Comment

find out who owns it first and get permission, don't dive, take a float and a coldy have fun!

Comment

On diving in ponds, one of my friends broke his neck in an auto accident, was in NYU Med. center-he was the only one in that ward that was not the victim of a diving accident!

Comment

Drowning is the number one cause of death in abandoned quarries. Most people involved in this type of accident went to a quarry for swimming. Quarries are extremely dangerous places to swim. Steep drop-offs, deep water, sharp rocks, flooded equipment, submerged wire and industrial waste can make swimming risky.

Another risk factor is the very cold water. Many quarry operations excavate to depths below the water table and use pumps to keep the mine dry while it is in operation. When mining stops the pumps are turned off and the quarry floods by the inflow of cold ground water. This ground water inflow can keep the quarry water very cold even in late summer. Depending on the person jumping into the water could elicit cold shock and make a person panic, and not be able to swim. It Iowa we have quarries and we swim in them but there is a certain type of respect you have to give them. There are lists and lists of things you should know but with the biggest risks come the biggest rewards.

Comment

Drowning is the number one cause of death in abandoned quarries. Most people involved in this type of accident went to a quarry for swimming. Quarries are extremely dangerous places to swim. Steep drop-offs, deep water, sharp rocks, flooded equipment, submerged wire and industrial waste can make swimming risky.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad