No announcement yet.

Blued steel vs stainless steel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It all depends on the quality of the finish. I have seen blued that has chipped when walking through light brush and I owned a stainless rifle that surface rusted if you looked at it wrong. I tend to prefer stainless for for my handguns but I have started to Cerakote all of my hunting rifles because it wont rust looks good and I can touch up nicks and scratches on my own. With where i hunt and how rough i hunt that is the most important part to me.

Comment

I own multiple examples of both. I really like the stainless and synthetic combination for hunting in bad weather. But when it comes to aesthetics it is really hard to beat a nice bluing job with good wood. I recently bought a Ruger #1 and sometimes I just get it out and look at it. It is just downright beautiful. (wife says I need help)

Comment

Nickle,SS and blue like them all!

Comment

FirstBubba, I was told that when I bought the case. So I would leave the gun out over night after use to bring to room temp to prevent the condensation. I also have two young ones and the wife babysits so leaving it out is a NO-NO! I have also been told to leave your muzzle loader in you vehicle or garage overnight to keep this from happening and ruining the primer and/or powder. If you hunt in the cold Friday and plan to hunt Saturday morning. However with the new inline ML with quick removal breech there really is no need to do this unless your lazy.

Carl, I don't have to worry about the 870 anymore it I traded for another gun. I will keep this in mind for my other guns, but I never really have had a problem with them. I'm pretty particular about cleaning my guns after every use, so they get a good cleaning, oiled, and wiped down with a silicone cloth.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump
            by crm3006
            Pmacc60: "Your resources are bias, why don’t you post the Huff posts article on the 7 myths of BLM. Where are your post on Biden’s you tube crash...
            Today, 11:18 AM
          • Trump
            by Danbo
            https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
            04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
          • Reply to Trump
            by Pmacc60
            99 I have one question for you ? Where is the stir, the excitement of a new idea candidate ? Obama has it , Clinton had it of course JFK had it. Where...
            Today, 11:13 AM
          • Reply to Rip -rbg
            by crm3006
            From Danbo: "How bad will the next month until Election Day will thing get?"

I've got a feeling we ain't seen nothin', yet! The...
            Today, 11:12 AM
          • Rip -rbg
            by fitch270
            2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
            Yesterday, 09:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X