Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I was recently in a pretty bad accident. Some lady who had a warrant out for skipping out on her counciling for her third

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I was recently in a pretty bad accident. Some lady who had a warrant out for skipping out on her counciling for her third

Well I was recently in a pretty bad accident. Some lady who had a warrant out for skipping out on her counciling for her third DUI got hopped up on perscription meds at 8:30 am and slammed into me head on when she went left of center. Thank God I am doing ok aside from a sore shoulder, but it is time for a new vehicle. My bumper was smashed even with my windsheild and both front wheels were off my car. I am leaning towards an SUV. A truck wouldn't make as much sence for me due the the new baby and hauling around strollers and such. I was looking at the Nissan Xterra due to the fact that it is one of the last SUV's that still has a fully boxed ladder style frame, not a unibody. Anyone have any experience with the 2nd gen Xterra or maybe another capable SUV such as the 4runner?

Daughter has an Xterra and we have a Toyota 4runner. The Xterra is a little smaller and the seats are lower so if you have long legs you might be a little uncomfortable on long trips. The 4runner is a little bigger inside and more storage room behind the back seat it seems, and the seats are a little higher off of the floorboard. Both are fine vehicles and I would be hard put to say which is better. Try them both for comfort and go from there is my advice.

Comment

My next vehicle will probably be the Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine (no additional cost and about 22MPG highway)
      Four full size doors or two full size doors and two half size doors would be my preference.
      That is a vehicle that can do it all, from family vehicle to work vehicle, to week ends off.
      No, I do not work for Dodge.

Comment

I've got experience with 4Runners, and bad accidents. A fellow ran a red light in front of me. (Tests later ran on his blood showed he was overdosed on a prescription medication.) According to accident reconstructionists, my 4Runner struck his car at about 47 mph. His car, a large Chevy Caprice Classic, was basically cut in half. My 4Runner, like all 4Runners, has a fully boxed frame. Both fenders were ripped off and the front tires blew, but the box frame held. I turned off the engine with the ignition key. I did not have a single scratch on me, thank God. There are now several 4Runners in my family, and they are reliable, capable, and strong.

Comment

I have had multiple bad experinces with dodge and jeep. I will be staying away from all chrysler products. I used to be a jeep guy too, but their quality has really declined in recent years. My last jeep I had to replace 3 control arms, a ball joint, multiple sensors and the cracked battery all under 40,000 miles. I have never known a dodge where the transmission lasted to 60,000. Maybe I have had bad luck, but they left a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

buckeye,
            Field and Stream just did a very good review of 4Runners. Go to gear and look under trucks. I beleive it was on this blog last week.

Comment

I was about to suggest a Jeep Liberty, Patriot, or Grand Cherokee but I am biased as Inam definitely a Jeep guy! Buy yes I know where you are coming from as my last vehicle, a hand me down 04 Grand Cherokee, was a piece of.. Well, anyway if you are choosing between the two, I would go with the 4runner. A woman in my church drives one and she loves and I have driven it a few times. Good interior good handling I'm not sure about mileage but ya can't win em all

Comment

"Porsche there is no substitute".

I am only kidding about the Porsche because there is no place for your a deer or bear after you bag it.

Buckeye and Proverbs, I am glad your both still with us. I don't want to be a Monday Morning Quarterback but drive defensive. If you have green lights still look both ways for the drunk or druggy that may run the red light.

In answer to your question, I am a Ford SUV or Ford pick up guy.

Comment

I would say Jeep. I had them. My son has them. No problems with all the kiddy stuff and they run.

Comment

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee now with the Hemi and have had no problems. I go off road some and the vehicle is amazing. 22mpg highway, and when you feel the need for power or speed, just step on the accelerator and you will get all you want. The one before this was a Grand Cherokee with the straight 6. Strong running car. No problems with either.

Comment

Gary,

I agree about driving defensivly. I was not at a red light or anything like that. I had just left a school zone and she was trying to out run a cop that was trying to pull her over because she hit a 4runner about 300 yards down the street. Real classy lady. I am actualy thankful she hit me before she got to the children crossing the street trying to get to school.

Comment

Hi...

I Don't fit very well in a typical UTE, as I'm rather 'fluffy', am 5'-13" and wear a size 16 boot. I'm also a Ford man.

I just wanted to say how badly I felt about your incident. Hope you're back to normal real soon, and can find the best vehicle for you.

Comment

Jeeps are unit-body construction not boxed frame.

I have a 99 Jimmy and it may be the last vehicle I own in this lifetime. I'll work hard to make it so. I love that rig! Easy to get around in, comfortable to drive (a lot more comfortable than our 2004 Grand Prix), takes care of all my stuff and three dogs on a road trip, boxed frame, easy to load a deer on top (drop tail gate instead of hatchback on Jeeps).

I just checked at a lot while walking the dogs and both GMC Envoy and Denali have boxed frame construction. The Denali is overkill if you ask me. A LOT bigger than anything I'd ever need. Just like the four-door pickups. They are a PAIN to drive around town and park. And horrible gas guzzlers! If I won a new one I would sell it again right on the lot!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad