Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain in GA has been crazy! It rained so hard today that it knocked some tomatos off the bush. Anyone have any recipes for gree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain in GA has been crazy! It rained so hard today that it knocked some tomatos off the bush. Anyone have any recipes for gree

Rain in GA has been crazy! It rained so hard today that it knocked some tomatos off the bush. Anyone have any recipes for green maters? I would hate to see them go to waste.

Green tomato salsa is good. I don't know if you've had mincemeat pie in GA but here in PA Dutch country, it's made in the summer substituting green tomatoes for beef and pork. I've also made green tomato pie which is made like apple pie using green tomatoes instead. I also have made green tomato and ham soup. There's always fried green tomatoes. Try adding some spicy chili powder to the batter for something different.

Comment

The only thing I can add is to pickle them, sliced, or pickle them in a relish.

Comment

Fry em up! Or use them in a gravy and put on catheads

Comment

Fried green tomatoes are the BEST! This rain is God's way of telling you to get going on it. Seriously, it has been tough getting out on the lake with all this rain and Lanier is topped out! I've been sneaking in landscape planting and the Heavens seem to respond quickly for great plant watering.

Comment

I thought fried green tomatoes where a staple like grits and cornbread GA?

Comment

DEER30, a couple of weeks ago, after the first big rain, I was walking around our yard with our Lab when she hit on something in a hole, I looked in there and to my surprise the were four dead rabbit kits...drowned. The next day I went to my grandmothers house and was walking around her yard when we found another rabbit hole with four more drowned rabbit kits!
              In Powder Springs there is a dam that is compromised because of the rain.
              Dcast, you are pretty right about tomatoes. However grits and cornmeal keep for a lot longer than tomatoes, so fried green tomatoes are considered 'summer' staples. Too bad I don't care for 'em!

Comment

I'll join in with fried green tomatoes. So good they named a movie after them!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                  by Red Angus
                  I would suggest that the best happy medium is a rifle chambered in a caliber with which a hunter is most capable of properly placing a quality bullet...
                  Today, 09:22 PM
                • How much is too much?
                  by FirstBubba
                  There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                  Today, 09:40 AM
                • Reply to Nikon Prostaff 5
                  by Pmacc60
                  Well said PH , I think we sometimes forget what it was like to just want to hunt and making do with what we had....
                  Today, 09:21 PM
                • Nikon Prostaff 5
                  by Red Angus
                  I somehow ended up in the sporting goods section of the local Walmart after completing my wife's shopping list and noticed several rifle scopes on clearance....
                  08-01-2020, 10:30 PM
                • Dutch oven Dessert: Warning- Graphic sugar images
                  by fitch270
                  We’ve been camping at the 1000 Islands area along the St. Lawerence River with the in-laws, today is my nieces first birthday and my wife and I ended...
                  Today, 02:56 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X