Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone been to Isle Royal in the UP of Michigan? Any tips headed there this summer for a fishing back country hiking expedit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone been to Isle Royal in the UP of Michigan? Any tips headed there this summer for a fishing back country hiking expedit

Has anyone been to Isle Royal in the UP of Michigan? Any tips headed there this summer for a fishing back country hiking expedition.

I can see it on a clear day but never been out there. Not really any different than the mainland. Pack lots of bug dope! Good boots are also a requisite. It's very rocky and anything that's not rock is usually muskeg. Check on the regs re sanitizing your fishing gear before you arrive. Also, make sure your tent and boots are clean before you get there. They don't need any more invasive weeds tracked into the park! I doubt you'll be able to bring in any live bait but if you bring a trap you MIGHT be able to trap your own minnows. Go on line or give them a call to see the score on that. Also, no firewood can be transported into the park but I doubt you'd be doing that anyway. Know what "leave no trace" camping is because they'll insist on it. The parks usually have small backpacking bear barrels you can sign out to keep your food secure. Not sure if they have a bear problem out there. As always give any cow moose with a calf a VERY wide birth. Don't mess around trying to take pictures. Get the heck out of dodge before she stomps you to death!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to When will the COVID-19 pandemic end?
      by rock rat
      The pandemic will end when active cases drop to a low enough point that there is no longer community spread. Virus won't be gone, but the pandemic will...
      Today, 07:23 AM
    • When will the COVID-19 pandemic end?
      by FirstBubba
      November 4, 2020
      08-13-2020, 11:25 PM
    • Reply to Crickets !!
      by bowhunter75richard
      Rock, I agree with some of your points, however I read nothing in your words that gave a sound approach to ‘getting’ our diverse population on the...
      Today, 07:01 AM
    • Crickets !!
      by bowhunter75richard
      Some time ago, I asked our liberal/progressive ‘friends’ on the site to give just one item on the D’s agenda that would benefit the American people...
      08-13-2020, 05:27 PM
    • Reply to Crickets !!
      by Pmacc60
      To compare the society’s of China , Singapore and Taiwan to the US is pointless! Completely different cultures, it is darn near impossible to have a...
      Today, 06:14 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X