Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little American Trivia. Who is considered the "Patron Saint Of America". Hint go back to beginning of our nation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Very true Ozark. My favorite was the identity of the "Wh0re of Babylon". The Catholic's said it was Pagan Rome and The Protestant's said it was the Catholic Pope. You have to love it. I try to take my Dad's advice. Mostly all religion teaches you to be a better person except with a few different dietary restrictions and different holiday's. He said better to associate with a person who practices his different religion. Than one of your own who does not.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    Carl, I have found that anyone from any religion considers those of other faiths infidel/heathen/gentile/pagan. It is just another tag that we have to put to people that we just don't understand. If you back far enough the Druids and Celts (pronounced kelts) were the first European Pagans. Strangely enough the Romans, who were polytheists themselves, put that tag on them.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Very good Ozark. But I believe Pagan referees to any religion that is Polytheists. Belief in many Gods. That is why some others referee to us Catholics as Pagan because we pray to Saints to intercede on our behalf.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    You learn the most interesting things on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    jhjimbo, they were more animistic than pagan if you use the correct definitions. Unfortunately, Christians use the term pagan for anyone who is not a Christian. The early settlers referred to Tamanend as a 'saint' because he was instrumental in letting them keep their scalps. Pagan or not he was a saint to them. BTW he is celebrated on May 1 each year.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Indians Pagans not necessarily. White people gave him the title

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I thought the Indians were pagans?

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    And we have a winner!! Refereed to as Saint or King. Leader of the Delaware Indians he believed in compromise and negotiation instead of Scalping everybody. A statue of him was front and center in Tammany Hall. A different sort of Scalping took place in that hollowed building.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    Tamanend, an American Indian in the Pennsylvanian area who greeted William Penn and his followers and helped to arrange the treaties that allowed him to buy the land and settle Pennsylvania.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    PS The sainthood was facetious

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    Best known in Pennsylvania and in New York. Actually started a few societies and fraternal organizations.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Kenyon Coleman a 6-5, at 293 pounds plays Defensive End, for the New Orleans Saints and wears number 99.

Carl, I am stumped!

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    No 99 think affable

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I am going to guess it is either St. Jude, the patron saint of hopeless cases, or St. Augustine, the patron saint of brewers.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    No; think politics

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad