Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever saved a living creature from death? Example: A dog that fell through the ice or two bucks stuck together with enta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever saved a living creature from death? Example: A dog that fell through the ice or two bucks stuck together with enta

Have you ever saved a living creature from death? Example: A dog that fell through the ice or two bucks stuck together with entangled antlers.

My brother looked out his back window and saw his Irish Wolfhound in the frozen four foot above ground swimming pool. The dog walked up the wooden deck and fell through the ice. The dog tore up the pool side liner and must have been in the frozen pool for a while. My brother has a high fence yard around his yard so kids don’t drown in the pool but never thought his pet could be in danger.

Comment

I was out in my backyard a couple of years ago, throwing a football around with my sisters when we heard the worst howling and screaming we have ever heard.
      When we looked in my neighbor's yard there was a little Cavalier, King Charles Spaniel being attacked by a Pitbull and some kind of mutt. I threw my football at them hoping to get them off of the little dog, to no avail, we also had an apple tree with green apples on it so we threw them also; well they stopped attacking the Spaniel, but didn't leave the yard. Not having any other choice I jumped the chainlink fence and fetched the dog and we took him to the vet, but he had to be put down he was so bad off.
      The dangerous thing about it was that Pitbull had already bit a fireman and police officer before, the fireman reported it but the officer did not; and the dogs had only gone about 100yds away when I jumped the fence.

Comment

Many dogs, sheep and cattle since I lived on a busy farm. My most memorable was a thoroughbred race horse though. I had a friend who worked for a very nice gentleman that owned race horses. His best horse of all time had won 23 out of 24 starts and was a "phenom". In his 24th race, however, he tore his achiles tendon. My friend called me crying to help them put him out of his misery so I reluctantly went over to do it. When I arrived, they were both so distraught that I just couldn't do it.

I called a great Vet who had helped me many times in the past to see if he was willing to go where few men had gone before... repairing the tendon. He said his part was easy... he'd simply suture the tendon. He said my part would be a year of hard work and bedside care. He was right about that!

I trucked him home and hung him with an intricate sling from the rafters in the barn to keep weight off his foot. The Vet did the surgery for me and I wasn't able to lower him to the ground for almost 2 months. Then I began therapy with all kinds of time consuming excercises. It was fully a year later before his therapy had him running at full speed again. He loved to run and his speed was truely phenominal. Of course he could not run at a track again but I ran him almost daily for two years before giving him back to his very appreciative owner. He could not be used for breeding stock either but his owner just enjoyed watching him run... he was a beautiful horse!

Another special memory that I won't get into was when a friend and I nearly lost our lives saving his golden lab that had fallen througin the ice in the middle of the Missouri River. Heavy current under the thin ice made it extremely dangerous in -15 degree temperatures. At one point, I thought none of us would survive. The dog lost his ears and my friend was hospitalized for hypothermia and bad frostbite for a week but we all made it.

Comment

The family cruiser was tied up on a concrete pier and a very pregnant Greyhound was attempting to get back on the boat. She was a retired racer that someone gave the family. She slipped, and fell about 5' to the water between the boat and pier. Lucky she had a collar on and also lucky there was a long boat hook pole handy. I reached down with the pole, caught the collar and in one big smooth motion pulled her back to the top of the pier. She went on to have ten, that's right 10 pups.

Comment

I once rescued two cottontail rabbit bunnies that were wrapped in the coils of a snake. As I approached, the snake released the bunnies and coughed up the remains of four or five other bunnies it had eaten, probably all from the same litter. I was very young at the time, and considered my feat quite heroic.

Comment

A few years ago, we had a yellow lab named Bud. It wasn't an uncommon occurence he would go missing for a couple of days, doing what males have been doing since the dawn of time. One spring day, after Bud had been gone for a few days more than usual, I came home from school and mowed the grass. When I was putting the lawnmower back in the barn, I caught a whiff of an awful rotting meat smell. Puzzled, I looked aroundfor the source but came up with nothing. Heading back up to the house, there was the source of the smell, Bud, by the door. He had huge holes on both sises of hos body so deep I could see into his body cavity. And he was covered in maggots. Dad and I put him in the truck and took him to the vet, who spent the next two hours digging maggots out of Bud and stitching him up best he could. We speculated that he had messed with the wrong dog's girl but I'm not sure. In any case, he survived but has since passed away.

Comment

I would like a dollar for every cricket, spider and stink bug that I carried outside the house to release.
                I would like to have another dollar for every live box turtle or snake that I removed from the road and highway.

Comment

Gary,
                  A continuation of the Greyhound episode from above. Several weeks after pulling her out of the drink, she started having the pups one morning. It was a cold fall morning and every so often my mother would go out to check on her and come back with a pup. Sandy could not do much for the pups so we took over. All day long she had pups. Finally in the evening we thought she had the last. My mother, an R.N., went out to check one last time - sure enough she found the runt that Sandy had pushed away under some newspaper. She brought it into the house, it was not breathing and very cold. With an eye dropper she put one drop of whiskey in the pups mouth and started mouth to mouth resuscitation. The little guy started breathing and we got him warmed up.
                  My sister and I each kept one dog and we gave the other 8 away. We would see the little runt once in a while and he turned out to be one of the nicest dog of the litter.
                  The two we kept were awesome. They were terrific fighters and would run down and kill a coyote on sight. Greyhounds hunt in a pack and they are deadly. For exercise we would let them run along side the car at about 40mph for a few miles.
                  Excellent with children, excellent watch dogs, and for a big dog they were good in the house.
                  I would highly recommend a Greyhound rescue dog if someone has the room for them to run and wants a nice dog.

Comment

My uncle ran into a burning building about 4 months ago to save 2 cats and 1 dog. The owner was a priest. My uncle was not a fire firefighter but used to be so luckly he knew to keep his head down out of the smoke. The animals all lived. A News channels wanted to interview him and have a segment on it but he was so humble he declined.

Comment

I woke up one night to my gold doodle pup having a seizure. I really didn't want to loose him but I just kept petting his head until he calmed down. His muscles were all tight and after awhile he calmed down and curled in a ball and fell back asleep. I don't if I saved him. But definitely made him feel better.

Comment

we had a heifer in labor a few weeks ago. her calf was upside down and backwards, very complicated. I didn't directly save either of them, but I assisted. we had to have the vet out to help, and he did most of the work. I did help the calf start breathing though.

Comment

I cut a spike whitetail buck out of a fence two years ago.I was driving home from work and saw this buck hung up in a fence buy its two spikes it was worn out so it had been there for a while,I grabbed a pair of pliers and cut it loose it then staggered away.

Comment

Twice I have untangled deer from wire fence.

Comment

Gary D - Sorry to be off topic, but thought you might find this interesting: gunssavelives.net/blog/nj-democrats-blatantly-violate-legislative-laws-to-prevent-gun-control-bill-from-being-defeated-during-live-vote/

What the heck is going on in NJ?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad