Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earlier this week, a Texas man caught a world record Mako shark off the California coast with rod-and-reel. The shark, weighed o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earlier this week, a Texas man caught a world record Mako shark off the California coast with rod-and-reel. The shark, weighed o

Earlier this week, a Texas man caught a world record Mako shark off the California coast with rod-and-reel. The shark, weighed officially at 1323.5 pounds, exceeds the previous IGFA record of 1221 pounds. Critics say the shark should have been released, but it had to be killed for purposes of weighing and photographing. What say you?

The bait was a two-pound bonita on a hook, and the fight lasted two-and-a-half hours.

Comment

so what its a freaking shark

Comment

Good! Another man eater in the Record Books.

Comment

These guys are at the top of the food chain and this one was probably reaching old age. Can't hurt the population!

Comment

I think if any shark species were on the endangered species list then they all should be released back into the water. Mako sharks are "not" on the endangered species list. A potential world record Mako must be brought back to the dock to be weight by an official scale.

Comment

Fishing regulations allow two Mako sharks per day per person, with no weight limitations.

Comment

It's a shark so I see no big deal. It definitely will not hurt the population of Mako sharks! It's just a bunch of greenie-weenies trying to save the planet is all.

Comment

This past Tuesday an eight foot Mako shark jumped into a boat off the New Jersey coast. Read the story in the link below. The story was in most north Jersey newspapers.

www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2013/06/300-pound_shark_jumps_into_boat.html

Comment

Their an Apex predator its mans job to put killers like that on the wall from time to time. We are to take care of this earth we've been given and all to often we get scared of what lurks in the water or the woods. This keeps us in check.

Comment

The shark was obviously mature and had plenty of opportunity to reproduce and pass on its genes. Kill it and eat it. Full body mount.

Comment

From personal experience I will say that neither Makos nor port beagles, blue dogs, or thresher sharks populations could be hurt in a recreational or commercial ROD AND REEL fishery. We "shark up" atleast 5 times a day tuna fishing while trying not to. They typically roll into the boat as if you foul hooked a decent piece of firewood. While I don't love sharks, I certainly see their place and I say, take your limit, and leave the rest for the sea. They're no real trophy in my book though.

Comment

It is stupid that the IGFA requires you to kill sharks for the books. Their numbers are in rapid decline due to overfishing, mostly for fins. There is no reason to kill them, put em back in the water.

Comment

It's fine with me!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad