Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More D-Day Trivia. Who was the first casualty of the invasion? No peeking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More D-Day Trivia. Who was the first casualty of the invasion? No peeking.

More D-Day Trivia. Who was the first casualty of the invasion? No peeking.

Lt. Cmdr. Charles E. Madison, a.k.a. James Garner!!!!!
    of course I am only kidding, I do not know.

Comment

Not sure, but i know that Theodore Roosevelt's son died of a heart attack on the beach.

Comment

Not sure, but i know that Theodore Roosevelt's son died of a heart attack on the beach.

Comment

sorry about the double post.

Comment

I'm going to guess it was someone in the 82nd or 101st Airborne Divisions, or someone in the German Army.

Comment

MD, I believe Kermit Roosevelt not only survived D-Day but also won the CMoH. Don't quote me. I'm working on a feeble memory.

99, I am not sure of the answer to my own question but I was thinking it was a Brit.

Comment

Theodor Roosevelt Jr. survived D-day and on until the 12th of July, the day he was supposed to take command of his own division. He was awarded the CMoH, and is buried in St. Laurent, France beside his brother Quinton who was killed in WWI.
                As to the original question: I have no idea, but give me a minute! Type, type, type.

Comment

A little off topic but I believe Kermit Roosevelt survived WW II and led the effort by the C.I.A. (possibly still the O.S.S.) that overturned the Prime Minister of Iran and put the Shah of Iran into power. A very interesting story by the way!

Comment

With over 150,000 troops, a flotilla of over 5,000 vessels, the 101st and 82nd both dropped behind enemy lines well before the first landing craft was launched, I'm quite certain casualties started before the English Channel was ever crossed.
                    I read the "first" casualty was "Rupert"!

Comment

The first casualty (actually death) I can find was of the British 6th Airborne, D company, 2nd Battalion, Major John Howard's command. The 6th Airborne was charged with the herculean task of flying gliders behind enemy lines, capturing Pegasus bridge (a major German supply line) and holding it until invading forces could relieve them. The mission began on June 5th after 10:30 PM. (the earliest mission start I could find). I was not able to obtain the mans name, but he died when the gliders crashed down, as per the usual landing of gliders, several hours before the first boot touched the beaches.

Comment

The First Man Killed on D-Day was Lt.Dan Brotheridge of D-Company Royal Eng.

Comment

Good question, probably a lot of possible answers but I'd like to know what the answer is too. I have no idea, maybe a pathfinder for the airborne?

Comment

Point of Information.

In the military, D-Day is the day on which a combat attack or operation is to be initiated. The best known D-Day is June 6, 1944 — the day of the Normandy landings — initiating the Western Allied effort to liberate mainland Europe from Nazi occupation during World War II. However, many other invasions and operations had a designated D-Day, both before and after that operation.

Comment

Treestand has the answer I was looking for. The British officer killed while over running a bridge hours prior to the invasion.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad