Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth the read. See first post.

Worth the read. See first post.

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.
    Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.
    But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to victory!
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!
    Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

General Eisenhower

Comment

The generation that saw the great wrong in Europe and put life on hold to set the wrong right. I shudder to think what would have happened if it weren't for them.

Comment

To Day June 6Th is the 69th Anniversary of D-Day, When the Greatest Country in the World went to WAR to help Save Europe!

Comment

The men of that generation were one inch shorter and ten pounds lighter than the men of the present generation.

Comment

When Eisenhower gave this speech he was expecting over 50% casualties in the first wave. The speech is very honest and forthcoming. Just another thing that made this generation so great.

Comment

I must listen to speech by maybe the last Great President of the USA!

www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/ronaldreaganddayaddress.html

Comment

"Last night, when I spoke with you about the fall of Rome, I knew at that moment that troops of our United States and our Allies were crossing the Channel in another and greater operation. It has come to pass with success thus far. And so, in this poignant hour, I ask you to join with me in prayer: Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity. Lead them straight and true; give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith. They will need Thy blessings. Their road will be long and hard. For the enemy is strong. He may hurl back our forces. Success may not come with rushing speed, but we shall return again and again; and we know that by Thy grace, and by the righteousness of our cause, our sons will triumph. They will be sore tried, by night and by day, without rest -- until the victory is won. The darkness will be rent by noise and flame. Men's souls will be shaken with the violences of war. For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and goodwill among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home. Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom."

President Franklin D. Roosevelt - June 6, 1944

This is only an excerpt from the prayer written by President Roosevelt entitled "Let our hearts be stout", which was spoken over radio on June 6, 1944.
                I encourage you to read the whole prayer at www.historyplace.com/speeches/fdr-prayer.htm

Comment

Great stuff guys. I wasn't around so this is just theory; but I believe Britain was the most powerful country before WW II but the US became the most powerful nation as a result of and after the war.

Comment

We are quickly losing the greatest generation we will probably ever know. Sad times.

Comment

I had the privialge of visiting Normandy in 2005 while I was stationed in Germany. Very somber, yet beautiful place that is rich with history. Im glad that I was afforded the opportunity to go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                        by franchi20
                        I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                        Today, 07:40 PM
                      • Debate #2: new rules
                        by FirstBubba
                        New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                        The "Biden Campaign"!...
                        10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                      • Reply to What's after Trump?
                        by franchi20
                        Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                        Today, 07:34 PM
                      • What's after Trump?
                        by FirstBubba
                        No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                        There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                        Today, 01:46 PM
                      • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                        by fitch270
                        The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                        Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X