Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My family and a friends family are vacationing in Tybee Island Georgia the week of July27-Aug3. I was wondering if any of your a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My family and a friends family are vacationing in Tybee Island Georgia the week of July27-Aug3. I was wondering if any of your a

My family and a friends family are vacationing in Tybee Island Georgia the week of July27-Aug3. I was wondering if any of your are familiar with the area recommendations on food and things to do? Also I live in Ohio and Georgia is not in a reciprocity agreement with Ohio, I'm not even sure Georgia allows concealed carrying, so my question is would you risk the carrying of the gun or risk not having should you need it? I'm convinced on taking it regardless, but I have some reservations in doing so, what's your thoughts?

You have an OHIO CCW, Georgia has out-of State CCW...Look in to it you mite have time for it before you go on Vacation. DON'T RISK IT!..Keep it under your pillow at night and in the glove-box of your Car/Truck.

Comment

I think you should change your destination to South Carolina or Florida, as they will recognize your Ohio permit. First things first.

Comment

Treestand, are you from Georgia? If so what's the law with carrying in your car as mentioned in the glove box? I went through GA AG website but seen no mention of proper carrying in vehicle.

99, It's a little late now. I thought we could try a different beach this year, and I really like the idea of visiting Savannah for a day.

Comment

NO...I'm in Florida but,I hunt on the Fl/Ga Border..In Fl if you don't have a CCW the Gun must be Holster in the G/Box. Check the CCW Laws in Ga.

Comment

Georgia laws consider a firearm concealed only if it is on your person.
            Also Dcast, the Georgia are very friendly concerning firearms, even if the state doesn't officially recognize your Ohio license, the judge probably will! ;-)
            I wouldn't worry about carrying a firearm in Georgia, if you ARE stopped by an officer and you show him your Ohio permit he probably (depending on his attitude) will turn the other way.
            But that is just my opinion, carrying is a choice, and you are taking a chance no matter if you have a permit or not. 97% of the time, unless you give them a reason, the police will not stop or question you for carrying. However tourist sites like Tybee Island and Jekyll Island might see things a little different than me.

Comment

After researching it appears I am allowed to carry a loaded handgun WITHOUT a license in an open manner or in a glove compartment, console, or similar compartment. I did read however I'm not allowed to have it inside the property that I'm renting for the week, but I will take my chances in this area.

Mspl8sdcntryboy, Are you familiar with Tybee? I have read the LEO's are quite overzealous in their job, and tend to hassle the out-of-towners. I'm sure many probably deserved it but it seems as though there were to many complaints about this to just be isolated events. It doesn't matter because I'll be relaxing with my family and my friends family on the beach and by the pool. I'm not a party animal by any means but I was getting use to the LEO's in the Outer Banks that seem to love everyone and everything. What I read has kind of made me nervous.

Comment

WHEN IN DOUBT, GO WITHOUT. TH PENATIES CAN BE VERY STIFF.

Comment

Maybe it's that "yankee thing" down in GA?

Comment

Easy WAM, I'm a converted "Yankee" by family not by heart!

Comment

I am one of the Lucky ones yes I live here and there is very slim chance your going to need that firearm. Especially with a house full of people. If you were a single female I would have a firearm too. Look at Tybee Island, its one road on and one road off. Very safe small community. I love living here because of its safety. We do not have a problem with home invasions etc. The Tybee cops deal with drunks and traffic stops mostly. They do not hassle the "out of towners" unless your a drunk jerk, That is counter productive for a nice tourist destination. No glass containers on the beach, so bring your plastic cups and plastic bottles to the beach. No pets on the beach either. The people here are very nice. We will help you in a heart beat.
                      Why not contact the Tybee Police Dept and ask...
                      [email protected] or
                      call Dispatch Office (non-emergency): 912-786-5600
                      Chief: Robert Bryson

But please come and enjoy your stay here This place is very friendly.

Comment

You beat me to the computer TybeeJill!
                        I haven't been able to get a chance to get on here for a while Dcast, but I will answer your question anyways; I personally know many officers from various departments around the state, but not Tybee, however I know from experience that big city police departments and tourist area departments tend to have a slightly different outlook on firearms than suburban areas. I was also going to say what Jill said about not needing a firearm, but having one around still isn't a bad idea, nor is it illegal. I wish I could tell you more about that particular department than I can, but if they have officers like I am used to, they would probably do everything short of encouraging you to carry.
                        Hope this helps!

Comment

Dcast you also don't have to worry about the Yankee thing, I've extended my hand to an Ohioan before (actually a hug and kiss!). We have stopped tarring and feathering Yankees in the recent years, but if you have an accent you might get a strange look or two!

Comment

Not sure why you would want the hassle of a firearm on Tybee unless you are in law enforcement. I suspect you would only be bringing your own trouble to the island if you insist. Its pretty quiet on the beach and your biggest risk will be the undertow and having to wait too long for a waffle at Waffle House.

Comment

Thanks Jill, Like I said I like to research (to my fault) where it is that I'm going and just read plenty of bad reviews aimed toward the LEO's. I'm a very laid back person and partying has been out of my blood for quite awhile (kids will do that). As far as bringing along my carry gun, it is just habit and normally stays in center console of vehicle and hidden in the bedroom for a just in case circumstance I won't recite the old cliché. I'm really looking forward to this trip my kids are a little older now and I think will love the ocean this time to the beach. I'm dying right now thinking about setting my beach chair in the sand at the edge of the ocean forgetting about work and every other of life's mysteries!

Could you give me some local knowledge of the eateries we should visit and those not too?

Are you familiar with Beachside Colony?

Mspl8sd, the whole accent thing is laughable! When I started working in my current job our HR/Accountant lady is brown lady (she prefers brown not black or African American) she thought I was a racist southerner because of my accent and being pretty much pasty white with all but shaved head. I've gotten that from others too (the whole accent thing). However I bet you guys will pick out the Yankee accent first thing, I'll wait and see.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad