Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The U.N. Food and Agricultural Organization just issued a report recommending that people in the U.S. consume more insects to co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U.N. Food and Agricultural Organization just issued a report recommending that people in the U.S. consume more insects to co

The U.N. Food and Agricultural Organization just issued a report recommending that people in the U.S. consume more insects to combat hunger and improve the environment. Some 1900 species of insects are already being consumed in other countries, esp. beetles, caterpillars, ants, grasshoppers and locusts. What is your take on eating insects?

Well, we already eat 1-2 pounds of insects a year without knowing it. The FDA actually publishes permitted levels of insects, rodent hair/droppings, parasites in fish, etc. that food producers have to stay under.

I had deep fried meal worms in rural Mexico. They were sort of like a spicy potato chip. We won't see the 17 year locust hatch that's happening on the along the east coast where I am, but I'm adventurous enough when it comes to food that I'd roast a few emergers just to try them.

It may not be a "question" of insects becoming part of our diet in our lifetime as world populations continue to rise and income disparity continues to grow here in the US. In the last 12 years, food has become a bigger and bigger component of the household budgets for the first time since 1900. And, we are lucky. We spend less on food that any other country. Besides, an insect based diet would certainly be a lot healthier that the diets of many poor people in the US now.

Comment

The U.N. can stick its insect consumption recommendations the same place as their gun ban treaty.

Comment

If there's anything big enough to shoot on the fly with my twelve gauge, I'm certainly willing to give it a try.

Comment

OH, we got sum Skeeters down here for ya'! (Southern dialect emphasized for effect).

Comment

I would taste it first. If I liked it I would eat it.
            The survivor shows on television they eat live insects.
            One good thing about eating insects you will never run out of them.

Comment

Only if I was in a 'must do to survive' situation. It may be true that bugs are low cholesterol, and high protein but I still can't get around the fact that most of them flourish on things that would certainly make us deathly ill if not outright kill us if we directly ingested it. Sorry just not my thing.

Comment

Your comment on a survival situation jarred my memory to the second time I ate bugs willingly. I was 11-12 and at Boy Scout Camp working on the Wilderness Survival Badge. (That badge alone is worth getting your kids into scouting). One of the older kids showed us how to look under dead logs and catch the big, black ants living there. We pinched the heads off (so they woldnt bit you)and down the hatch. As I remember, they tasted like lemon. It had to do with the acid in their stomachs they used to digest the dead wood they ate. As I remeber, we probably consumed a couple hundred of them between us and then the novelty wore off. But, I don't think Americans will be serving bugs as party or hors d'oeuvres anytime soon.

Comment

(The first times I was apparently a small child with an like of eating anything that crossed my way. My poor parents).

Comment

The only thing I eat with more that four legs and an exoskeleton is Lobster and Crab

Comment

I used to eat a lot of grasshoppers sautéed in olive oil and fresh garlic, but they always made me jumpy.

Comment

More recommendations from the Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey crowd.

Comment

Yeah, the UN can forget that idea! The no good scum can go and eat bugs in their own countries and stop worrying about what we do.

Comment

I have ate bug a few times and they all were pretty good once you got over the fact that they where bugs. I can ever say that i really enjoyed chocolate ants in south america they gave the chocolate a citrus like flavor and where a nice crunch. deep fried tarantula and cricket also where ok but not my favorite. It all depends on how it taste.

Comment

Producing livestock is very inefficient and a drain on resources. I think eating insects will help as the world overpopulates.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad