Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The buffalo gnats are so bad that we can't stand to be outside. Any suggestions besides using vanilla extract to help keep them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The buffalo gnats are so bad that we can't stand to be outside. Any suggestions besides using vanilla extract to help keep them

The buffalo gnats are so bad that we can't stand to be outside. Any suggestions besides using vanilla extract to help keep them at bay?

Three choices that I'm aware of! (successful anyway!)
    1. soak your clothing in kerosene
    2. soak your clothing in diesel
    3. stay inside!

Comment

p.s. - I would suggest giving up smoking while your clothing is soaked in any petroleum based fuels! LOL!!

Comment

Can you move the buffalo while you drink the vanilla extract? Seriously, the only things I know slow Black flies down only a little are DEET on skin and Permetherin on clothes. Head nets and cotton gloves treated with Permetheran give them something to figure out.

Comment

I hate buffalo ga-nats!
          A buddy and I got into them several years back during spring turkey season.
          My face mask had one large eye hole. In desperation, I turned my mask backwards. A couple of minutes later, it dawned on me I had trapped several of the little vermin INSIDE the mask!
          When we got home, we looked like we had been robbing bee hives! LOL!
          We did eventually kill a 23# double beard(9"/5")!

Comment

Permethrin. Forgive the goofy spelling

Comment

A Thermacell???

Comment

Cheap cigars always worked for me for skeeters. Would that work for gnats?

Comment

The only thing that really allows you to keep your sanity if you're sitting still is a headnet. If I'm walking, working in the garden, etc., I've found keeping a hat with a bill sprayed with Deep Woods Off works fairly well. Spray the underside of the bill too. That's the key.

Comment

DEET is the way to go.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad