Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The U.S. Army discontinued bayonet training about three years ago. Is there no longer a need for this vital skill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U.S. Army discontinued bayonet training about three years ago. Is there no longer a need for this vital skill?

The U.S. Army discontinued bayonet training about three years ago. Is there no longer a need for this vital skill?

I believe that in the type of war-fighting being employed by our troops these days (urban, close quarters combat) that all types of hand-to-hand combat should be taught and trained by our military.
    Yes, even bayonet training; I have heard accounts of tomahawks being used in Afghanistan and Iraq during house raids, if you're close enough to an enemy to hit them with something, you should train with bayonets.
    I think the ASP baton would be an asset to our military as well, the police use them with great effect during crowd control and suspect restraint.

Comment

I think it was more important during world war 1 than it is now, but what do I know. I think it is important in all close quarters combat. just my opinion.

Comment

Not important, even in the Civil War bayonets were rarely used despite what Hollywood thinks.

Comment

The current crop of M-16 variants make for pisspoor bayonet handles anyway....

Comment

When I was in the philosophy was stop them as far out as you could. Give 'em hot lead instead of cold steal.

Comment

Hi...

When your bayonet turns out to be your only functioning weapon, I suspect that you'll be glad that you have one on the end of your rifle...!!

Comment

A rifle barrel thrust full force into the gut and a horizontal butt-stroke is ALMOST as effective as a bayonet.

Comment

I think they should be trained for everything that could happen, even hand to hand combat.

Comment

Just a thought: The M4 Carbine and other active service carbine-type battle rifles are in service to retain power and accuracy while reducing weight and more importantly legnth for close-quarters combat. So stick a big knife on the end and lose the advantage of the compromises. That being said, I can see how a boyonet would be incredible handy: the difference in life or death even

Comment

Matthew, that says to me that they should want to train in every type of hand-to-hand combat possible.

Comment

While talking to my youngest Son who is still in the Service(20)Yr,That subject came up.He said that more training in Hand to Hand to be more important then old School stab and slash, It was dropped out of basic training just before Desert Storm.

Comment

While it may be a "unnecessary " skill, I think it serves to illustrate to the recruits that fighting is a personal and dirty business. It ain't a video game, and there isn't any reset button.

It's at least as important as half the crap they get drilled into their head.

Comment

Bayonet practice is believed to get recruits fired up for combat, and helps them overcome their natural hesitancy to take a human life.
                            When the instructors calls out, "What's the spirit of the bayonet?" and the recruits shout back repeatedly and enthusiastically, 'To kill!' they get the adrenalin rushing and and release primitive urges to survive by slashing and smashing the enemy with vigorous thrusts and buttstrokes on the dummies.
                            The bayonet is also the most effective tool for prisoner control and in a group, for crowd control.

Comment

So when you are wearing full battle rattle out on patrol and haji gets up in your face, you are carrying a weapon. Now I can try out the old level 4 combatives that are based a lot off of the Gracie jujitsu or since my weapon is at the low ready I can buttstroke the J.A and on the followup come back around and catch him with the front off the weapon on the other side off the face. He'll hit the dirt road pretty fast. Beats the heck out of rolling around with the fool in 120 heat with a loaded weapon in the hand and a sidearm in a holster when lethal force is not an option.

I am doing a medical check on detainees and one or two get stupid, obviously I have no weapon since the are being held on a FOB/COP in the D cell, well a little arm bar or elbow to the the jaw etc comes into play.

I could be guessing but they both have their place and should be learned,practiced and implemented with extreme violence of action. Bayonet training was still instructed in combat arms mos's as late as 2005 for a fact.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by rock rat
                                Turd herder? Bubba did you used to work at the wastewater plant?

Am Flyer, much appreciated but it's kind of a lost cause here.
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • We Don't NEED
                                by jhjimbo
                                We may want, but we do not NEED.
                                We don't need a female President just to have a female President. We especially don't need a black female President...
                                Yesterday, 07:33 AM
                              • Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Perhaps it's time to think about scheduling one of Trump's cognitive tests? ...
                                Today, 01:08 PM
                              • Reply to What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by Amflyer
                                If Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi were alive today, they would not think this meme to be in good taste. Shame on you. ...
                                Today, 01:04 PM
                              • What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Have you thought about what your world would be like if you could not legally own a firearm ??...
                                Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X