Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in Alabama and I'm 16 years old. I've got hunting and fishing licenses and management land permits. There is a pond out a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in Alabama and I'm 16 years old. I've got hunting and fishing licenses and management land permits. There is a pond out a

I live in Alabama and I'm 16 years old. I've got hunting and fishing licenses and management land permits. There is a pond out at the management land that I'm going to be going to alot this summer and I want to bring a .22 mag revolver just for protection when I go out. I can do that right? It won't be concealed it will be on my hip just incase I come across somthing that could take me down. I've got drivers license, hunting and fishing license, and what I need to go on the management land.

If the laws are the same as Georgia you have to be 18 to carry unconcealed (except when hunting of course).

Comment

Andrew check your game laws or telephone your Fish and Wildlife Department.
      If they say it is ok, please get it in writing. Phone calls are "hearsay" in the legal court of law.

Comment

Got a drivers license? Go to your county sheriff's office and speak with the sheriff or deputy. They will be the department dispatched if a call comes in.

Comment

Just an aside.
          Get in touch with your local game ranger and management area personnel.
          Develope a rapport with them and the sheriffs office and it will open lots of doors for you. Keep your nose clean and you'll develope meaningful friends for life.

Comment

Just wondering, Whats gonna "take you down" in the great wild wilderness of... Alabama?

Comment

i dont know of any state that will allow a 16 year old to carry a handgun, open carry or not...one more piece of advice, anything that can take you down, a .22 mag wont take down.

Comment

There are bears and mountain lions here.there very rare but there out there. Plus the pond I go to is completely packed with snakes and a 22 mag would take care of them and coyotes. I don't wanna use like a 9mm or a 40 on little cottonmouths. I don't really plan on running into bear or a lion but hey somthin is better than nothin

Comment

If you are worried about bears pepper spray is going to do a heck of alot more for you than a .22 mag ever would. But to answer your question, I doubt that you would be able to carry it. Like everyone else said check your local laws.

Comment

I can't tell you exactly what your local laws are but to my understanding of federal handgun laws you have to be 21 to buy a handgun or ammunition for one so i assume that you must be at least that old to care. As to large animals make nose on approach and they'll run and most snakes will flee when they sense your vibrations. If snakes are that much of a concern either wait for colder months or just carry a long gun to be safe with the laws. I prefer a 410 over a 22 any way.

Comment

I will praibibly just bring my mossberg plinkster. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

No offense Andrew, but 16 year olds have no business with handguns and most states have laws to that effect. For snakes and vermin, a .410 or 20 ga shotgun is your best chance of knocking them off.

Comment

You'll probably want to contact someone within the Game and Fish Dept., most management areas I've been to don't allow hunting except during specified seasons, not that your out hunting. But, walking around with your .22 for protection from snakes even though they may not be protected or have no closed season would probably be a no go according to most CO's.

Comment

As a retired law enforcement officer I assure you that a 16 year old cannot carry a handgun. I remember when I was your age I thought it would be the best thing in the world if I could strap on a handgun and walk around with it. Check your local laws. After carrying one on duty for over 35 years after awhile it is not as glamorous as it seems when you are young, believe me. Stick to your shotgun for snakes.

Comment

Hey Guys, not to get off point from the question, but is it legal to kill a poisonous snake just because you see one? Aren't they protected in your game laws?

I'm not talking about a snake in your tent or drops in your boat. Because of the safety issue you can kill that snake that invades your space.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by rock rat
                                Turd herder? Bubba did you used to work at the wastewater plant?

Am Flyer, much appreciated but it's kind of a lost cause here.
                                Today, 01:18 PM
                              • We Don't NEED
                                by jhjimbo
                                We may want, but we do not NEED.
                                We don't need a female President just to have a female President. We especially don't need a black female President...
                                Yesterday, 07:33 AM
                              • Reply to We Don't NEED
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Perhaps it's time to think about scheduling one of Trump's cognitive tests? ...
                                Today, 01:08 PM
                              • Reply to What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by Amflyer
                                If Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi were alive today, they would not think this meme to be in good taste. Shame on you. ...
                                Today, 01:04 PM
                              • What Would Your World Be Like ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Have you thought about what your world would be like if you could not legally own a firearm ??...
                                Yesterday, 04:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X