Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever plant any food plots for turkeys? Im wanting to work on one for fall bow hunting and turkeys that will last till spr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever plant any food plots for turkeys? Im wanting to work on one for fall bow hunting and turkeys that will last till spr

Anyone ever plant any food plots for turkeys? Im wanting to work on one for fall bow hunting and turkeys that will last till spring 2014 turkey season to. Anybody have any luck with the antler king bucks and birds mix?

A perennial clover mix would be a good choice. Be sure to take a soil sample, and amend your soil to the soil sample's recommendations. I also recommend the book "Quality Food Plots" (qdma.com/shop/quality-food-plots-your-guide-to-better-deer-and-better-deer-hunting) as it will give recommendations on how to maintain you clover plot for several years before it would need to be replanted. If well maintained, you can get about 5+ years out of a good clover plot.

Comment

If you're mostly interested in turkeys, I'd suggest "chufa", especially in a loose, sandy loam. Bioguy is right, whatever you select, start with a soil analysis first. Make soil amendments as needed before planting.

Comment

You guys must have a better class of turkeys where you hunt. Mine just eat the corn out of the fresh cow pies!

Comment

We plant Sorghum by seeds it for Deer and Doves but Turkeys just eat the Heck out of it.

Comment

In this months F&S there is an ad for a seeded roll of various types of clover. Just unroll it on your prepared soil and you are ready to go. $40 to cover 100sq'. might be worth a try.

Comment

I am planning a sunflower and millet plot for doves that I am sure will attract the turkeys this fall. As stated above, you can't go wrong with chufa either.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad