Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bible Trivia; One last question. What payment did Saul demand of David for his daughter Michal's hand in marriage. If you Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible Trivia; One last question. What payment did Saul demand of David for his daughter Michal's hand in marriage. If you Google

Bible Trivia; One last question. What payment did Saul demand of David for his daughter Michal's hand in marriage. If you Google God will know.

New American Standard Version, in 1 Samuel 18:25, "The king does not require any dowry except a hundred foreskins of the Philistines, to take vengeance on the king's enemies." Heck of a prospective father-in-law!

Comment

I had to reach for the Good Book on this one, Carl. I didn't remember it.

Comment

Ed it's funny the things that stay in your mind. I remember this from when I was a kid. I just hope David killed them first.

Comment

I remembered the story, but I didn't remember why David did it.

Comment

If he didn't kill them first, perhaps he was training to be a mohel and these were "bris ceremonies"?

Comment

I did not look it up in my Bible or on Google, and it has been gnawing at me for a while I could not remember! Something I will now never forget!

Comment

Cntryboy the way it was explained to me Saul wasn't to keen to have David as a son in law and he wanted revenge on the Palestine's. He also saw David as a rival to the throne. So he sent David on a suicide mission trying to kill two birds with one stone. David the over achiever returns with 2 hundred instead of the hundred foreskins. OR as my Grandma used to say "men plan and God Laughs".
                Ed that would have been a lot of sponge cake for that party!

Comment

I remember this story from Sunday school. I was taught it was 100 Phillistine heads. I guess they told us that to keep curious little me from screaming, "Hey! What's a foreskin?!!?!?!"

Comment

Matt, that question is for your father or you could google it. Good Luck!

Comment

Yeah, that can be a tough one to explain to a Sunday school class.

Comment

I'm with Matt on this. I too was taught 100 Philistine heads. I completely forgot about this until now. I will however go back to the Bible I received when I was Baptized and compare it to the one I read now somewhere around 20+ years difference in publishing dates.

Comment

Not to get off point, but interpretation has always been the Bibles strong suit. IE Thou shalt not Kill. The real interpretation is Thou shalt not Murder. Making it OK to take a life in the defense of Kit & Kin. It would be very hard to explain the difference to a bunch of children.
                          Another one of my favorites is Thou shalt not Covet. They break that one every 10 minutes on TV with a commercial break. My only hope is when the Lord takes me he brings my lawyer along to.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad