Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NUTS-Riddle me this, why can you buy any nut in the shell. But not Cashews or Macadamia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NUTS-Riddle me this, why can you buy any nut in the shell. But not Cashews or Macadamia?

NUTS-Riddle me this, why can you buy any nut in the shell. But not Cashews or Macadamia?

I am going to guess that the shell is either poisonous or emits a foul odor.

Comment

I do believe the shells are Poisonous, I read that some time ago,8Th grade??

Comment

I know that cashews are toxic prior to being roasted and I believe that they are harvested from a tree, unlike many other nuts. So my riddle is this: why are they called nuts instead of beans?

Comment

I know that cashews are toxic prior to being roasted and I believe that they are harvested from a tree, unlike many other nuts. So my riddle is this: why are they called nuts instead of beans?

Comment

True as far as Cashews. When harvested they have double shell and are toxic till roasted. Much like Tapioca which is down right poisonous till processed.
            As far as nuts they are inside a fruit an do not open when they mature. Nuts grow in a singular fashion will beans grow in groups inside a pod. Beans grow in a pod that opens on maturity.Legumess are seeds that grow on runners under ground similar to potato's and yams.
            That being said; Why is Tomato Vegetable and not a Fruit

Comment

If it can be fermented it to make wine, it is a fruit.

Comment

99; Depends whose holding it. A scientist calls it a fruit. A cook says it is savory and calls it a vegetable.

Comment

As far as Macadamia nuts the shell is so hard the only way to open them is to run them over with your car. Something I saw the locals do in Hawaii in the 60's.

Comment

Carl, I was just watching the cooking channel the other night and it is still up for debate according to the scientist on there. It is a vegetable because of it flowering.

Comment

Damn, we're bored today.....

Comment

No lie WAM. They say an idle mind is the devils work shop. I'm starting to think he's got a small factory with me. Back rehab, computers & small projects. I got to get out more.

Comment

Dandelions are good in salad and make good wine and all of my neighbors call'em weeds!!!!

Comment

And yes, I'm bored, I need a break from cleaning my revolvers!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad