Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know there are tons of ferel hogs in texas, I know they are damaging crops, fields and such. I want to hunt them. For Free..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know there are tons of ferel hogs in texas, I know they are damaging crops, fields and such. I want to hunt them. For Free..

I know there are tons of ferel hogs in texas, I know they are damaging crops, fields and such. I want to hunt them. For Free... Where in Central Texas could I go? Is there a place? I'm talking Free. I will find myself a place to stay and food to eat. Help

Ted, I would place an ad in the area newspaper where you’re interested in hog hunting. Most land owners worry about liability if you’re hurt on their property. Today everybody is suiting everybody.

The National Rifle Association has an insurance policy for members. If your ad stated that you’re fully insured you will get phone calls from land owners. I did it in New Jersey and it worked like a charm.

Comment

you havent spent much time in texas im guessing...little to no public land, and nobody lets you on their property for free, you will be paying to hunt anything anywhere.

Comment

Ditto~~S/golf72
        Texas is YOU pay to Play! Texas has less then 1%of state Land, Buddy-up with a land owner?

Comment

They don't get the publicity that the ones in Texas do, but there are boocoodles of hogs in Alabama, as well as considerable public land on which to hunt them. However, it's only fair to warn you that hogs are smart as h#ll and after they've been hunted a time or two, they go into the thick, nasty stuff and become pretty much nocturnal, making them hard to hunt without dogs. You may have better luck with private landowners, especially if you follow Gary Devine's advice. I've had hog hunters on my land a time or two.

Comment

There are numerous places in Texas and Oklahoma that for a reasonable fee find a place for you to hunt, butcher the hog, feed you, and put a roof over your head for a long weekend. By the time you rent a room and feed yourself for a few days the cost differential is not much. My 2 cents worth.

Comment

Ted, if you prefer not to pay any money to hunt you still could volunteer your time to help the landowner with certain chores on the property.

Comment

Landowners complain about feral hog damage and then make hunters PAY to kill them? What's wrong with that picture? Enjoy your rooting damage! LOL

Comment

WAM
                  I'm not going into it on this stupid phone, but you just don't "GET" the situation!
                  People ask for permission to hunt, then leave gates open, scatter trash, drive around on wheat pastures.
                  When they get hurt doing stupid s**t, then they want to sue the farmer/rancher!
                  No long ago, two teens trespassed onto a farm. One of them ran through a piece of an abandoned fence. He almost bled to death before his pal got him to a hospital. The injured youth's parents sued for "neglect" and won.

Nobody minds anybody killing all the ferals they want, but today's society doesn't allow farmers to let just anybody enter their propery.
                  A local farmer gave two "yahoos" permission to hunt hogs. That Saturday morning, while checking his cattle, he found 17 vehicles and 63 hunters ripping his place apart! Everyone told him they were with "Jim Bob" and "Joe Ed"!
                  The hogs didn't do as much harm as THAT mob!
                  It's the "pay-to-play" guys who have the "chutzpah" to abide by common sense rules.

....and don't let anybody kid you, there's thousands of acres of "public" land in Texas! The whiners just want a "gimme".

Nothing in life worthwhile is free!
                  Here's just a couple.
                  Engling WMA - Cayuga, Tx
                  Keechi Creek WMA - Oakwood, Tx
                  LBJ Nat'l Grasslands - Decatur, Tx (eighter from Decatur! County seat of Wise!)
                  Matador WMA - Matador, Tx
                  Davy Crockett Nat'l Forest - Crockett, Tx
                  etc.,etc.,.....

Comment

Ted Fick

Go to the top of this page and click on "Message Boards ".
                    From there, click on "Campfires"!
                    Then look up Okie hog hunt". You may find what you're looking for.

Comment

I have a rancher friend in central Texas (Gillespie County), and he says he has never seen a hog on his place (yet).

Comment

WAM - When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you hogs, why not make a few bucks to get rid of a few? There are plenty of hunters that want to pay to play. Farmers all over the country do the same thing with deer. It helps offset the cost of the damage they do, and hunters are given the opportunity to hunt private property. It's a win-win scenario for all parties involved. Unfortunately, setting a "pay to play" standard throughout the US is definitely a legitimate threat to the future of hunting, as only the well financed hunters will be able to afford to hunt in the years to come.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad