Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt 1991 vs Kimber 1911.

Colt 1991 vs Kimber 1911.

Until the year 2000, the Colt 1991 had a plastic trigger and mainspring housing. In 2000, a metal trigger replaced the plastic one, but the mainspring housing remained synthetic. The pistol is an economy grade 1911-A1.
    I'll take the Kimber.
    I also kind of resent the fact that a quick read of the model number on the Colt might lead one to believe it was a 1911.

Comment

Kimber in a walk. Colts have too many issues and are too temperamental. My Kimber 1911 style Custom II has proved reliable, and its accuracy will match or top any match grade Colt I've ever shot.

Comment

I am a true Kimber fan. Have a Pro Carry in .45 and would not trade it for the world. Very accurate right out of the box, and only gets better with age. I have shot other 1911's but none compare with the Kimber.

Comment

I currently have a Kimber Custom II that has digested a few thousand rounds. As long as I keep it clean, it cycles reliably and performs accurately. It's the only .45ACP I've owned (of 6) that has not required the attention of a good pistolsmith. Other than a change of grip panels and the addition of a Smith & Alexander magazine well, I haven't made any changes. There's at least one photo of it among my profile photos.

Comment

I should add, the Kimber was factory-equipped with a flat mainspring housing made of Delrin or some other synthetic, and I changed it to a steel flat housing. It was simply a matter of preference. The piece cycles reliably with either of them.

Comment

I vote for Springfield S/S 1911-A1 G.I. Over the Two on Post,I have Tested my 1911-A1 with almost 1,000 Rounds of Hard-Ball/HP Ammo and Its NEVER been Cleaned,Just a wipe down Only with NO Malfunctions what so ever!!
              I do believe 99E has run the same Test on his Springfield 1911-A1 also with NO Problems.
              In my Book that's a trusty Semi-Auto in 45Acp.

Comment

I do clean my Kimber after firing because it is my belief that a clean weapon is one that will function reliably when I need it to, where as a dirty one may not. I have never had a problem with it feeding that was not traced back to a problem with the ammo. It is just my opinion and like noses every one has one.

Comment

Kimber. I've had one for quite a while and seem to more impressed each day I shoot it. I haven't owned the Colt but why would I? I have a Kimber.

Comment

I own several Colts all pre-series 80. I really have nothing against the Swartz trigger especially since my Kimber IIs have a variation thereof. It just that sometime in the eighties Colt's quality control and some engineering designs went to hell. Fortunately they are recovering over the last decade or so. So either buy an old Colt and spend about an equal amount of money making it what you want or just go buy a Kimber and start shooting immediately.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to There goes my deer season
                      by rock rat
                      No fires in the unit I was going to hunt, just bad conditions and part of the same National Forest as all the fires.

I am hunting a unit...
                      Today, 08:47 PM
                    • There goes my deer season
                      by rock rat
                      Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the...
                      Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                    • Reply to Rest Easy
                      by crm3006
                      From Danbo: "Some of the cases that SCOTUS will hear next month. No 2A cases yet but I expect that to change."

We can only pray...
                      Today, 08:31 PM
                    • Rest Easy
                      by jhjimbo
                      Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                      Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                    • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                      by rock rat
                      Maybe you all don't understand how the legal process works. If someone isn't breaking any laws then we leave them alone here in the US. Just how things...
                      Today, 08:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X