Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I am wanting to upgrade my truck a little. One of the first things I am looking for is an air horn. I don't want to bust a w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I am wanting to upgrade my truck a little. One of the first things I am looking for is an air horn. I don't want to bust a w

So, I am wanting to upgrade my truck a little. One of the first things I am looking for is an air horn. I don't want to bust a wallet here. What would you guys recommend I get for the best bang for my buck? (I'm thinking in the ball park of $30)

That will make you a little more irritating. Remember, folks in Ideeho tend to shoot at things that irritate them mightily.

Comment

Those things aren't designed to last more than a few weeks anyway. The air horns in semi-trucks are designed to run off real live compressors that stop the rig. A bit more substantial than the flimsy pumps that come with those pickup add-ons.

Comment

well, then we must be thinking of two different things. On our trucks in Papua New Guinea we put an air horn on, and it has been vibrating people off the road for two years now... no big compresses.

Comment

WHY?

Comment

because when I have to hit my horn, I want to be heard.

Comment

An air horn should not be confused with an upgrade. And you're not in PNG anymore.

Do yourself a favor, and put your $30 towards an upgrade that will make a positive difference, like top-of-the line tires.

Comment

I'm not in PNG, but I'm also not in the city... I want to be heard when I need to be heard. I have almost been hit in different vehicles while blaring my horn...

Comment

Quinton, really? You might get more bang than you bargain for. Bad idea my friend, bad idea.

Comment

I wouldn't upgrade with a horn. How about a lift kit with 35's, brushgaurd, straight pipes, or CB radio. In other words, you should have a truck more like mine. What do you drive anyway?

Comment

I agree with chuckles (there, can you believe that?). Intentionally scaring the crap out of people or totally pissing them off is a far cry from safe operating practices. It's called "offensive driving" and it is NOT safe. A vehicle is meant to get you from point A to point B alive. That's all. And it's your obligation when you're behind the wheel to do everything you can to ensure that others make it home alive too. Trust me kid, you DO NOT want to see someone die at your hands. Been there. At any rate, even the little beep-beep things they put in the kids' clown cars these days are enough to "make them heard" (although the stupid exhausts those kids stick on them are probably louder than the horns). Quinton, it has always been my firm belief that people who need to "make themselves heard" (or seen) typically have compensation issues. Like the little man hunting deer with the big 300 Weatherby magnum. Best to be what you are rather than trying to call attention to what you are not. My opinion anyway.

Comment

I think you really need a "RECTILE" Tachometer they make your A$$ go Faster...Lol
                        Just kidding....add two more 12v country horns to your truck, BE KIND to your Neighbors.

Comment

I'm going with OH on this one! If someone lays on their air-horn early in the morning on me because they feel I'm going to slow, fast, or they just have compensation issues. I'm going to be one p'd off driver on the verge of running your air-horn blaring arse off the road! Your young save your money for more useful things for in the future that DO NOT cause people to want to kill you!

Comment

Ok, like I said before, I'm not one to honk at you because I think you are going too slow, too fast, or anything aside from: YOU ARE GETTING READY TO PLOW INTO ME!

Also, like I said before, I have almost hit people and almost been hit myself, because the horns on either vehicle (on multiple occasions, both in and out of the US) were not loud enough. I don't want that issue.

Thirdly, if you read the question, I am asking about you guys' opinion on what air horn I should get, not if you think I should get an air horn. We all have different opinions. I have mine, you all have yours, and apparently they are different. I ask kindly that you do not draw a judgement call on my character, or psychological state of mind, just because I want to be heard when I need to be heard. I'm not drawing attention to something I'm not. Actually, in my experience, it is better to have a person somewhat mad at me, than me or that person dead. If you were to run me off the road because I honked at you, then you would be charged with battery with a deadly weapon. If in fact I am injured in the process, you would be liable. If I actually died from you running me off the road, not only would you have to live with killing me, but also you would face charges of involuntary manslaughter, possibly charged with voluntary manslaughter.

If there was a way to remove questions, I would remove this one. My question is still not answered, and I have not been influenced in any way not to get an air horn due to the answers expressed here.

Comment

Quinton- in reading your posts over the last year and a half I understand that you're not interested in freakIng out on the people you meet on the road or waking up your neighbors kids for fun. I personally do not think that an air horn is nessacary, but if you've proven them to help yours and others around you, safety then by all means, get one. The boys are right in saying that a big rigs air horn is run by the same compressor that gives air to the brakes on said big rigs. To find a truly loud or efficient air horn you would need a compressor and air tank. I would imagine that when looking to purchase one you may read the specs and look for higher PSI and decibels, the larger the air storage tank on said horn the more uses you will get out of it before the compressor needs to kick on. A 12v system is a must unless you plan on some type of invertor or equalizer to change power types, which should be a problem as most cars are 12v systems. Good luck in your search, sorry for the flak you received.

P.S.-If your ever in my home state with your air horn, there is a quaint little yuppie town all the tourist hang in named Camden,Maine, it would be appreciated if you would let them know your in town, and your horn works...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                We are getting a nice slow soaker of a rain for most of Sat afternoon. Reminds me when we fished from my Fathers cruiser. It was called an express cruiser...
                                08-01-2020, 05:28 PM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Today, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases
                                by jhjimbo
                                You can buy a complete selection of sizes for very little - maybe $30. The selection covers all applications. Mine are in a yellow box and contain a few...
                                Today, 10:17 PM
                              • scope/red dot wrenches for rings/bases
                                by dewman
                                Getting quite a collection of wrenches. I'd say I've thrown this many away,keep smaller sizes that come in the package for adjustments with the red dot/reflex...
                                Yesterday, 03:07 PM
                              • Reply to How much is too much?
                                by FirstBubba
                                That's about as good an answer as there is, redangus.
                                When I worked in a sporting goods store and a customer asked me the "best caliber"...
                                Today, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X